Will this old fax modem work with MacOS?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by drlacan, Jan 12, 2013.

1. drlacan macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,
    I have an old USRobotics 5633 56K faxmodem that I'd like to use with my Macmini for faxing. When I plug it in nothing happens (not even the power led turns on), although in the System Profiler it is recognized normally by its name, not simply as a generic device or sth. But it is as good as dead. Unfortunately in the USRobotics website (which still maintains a surprisingly complete database of their products) there are no drivers for this one, and I don't think there ever were. It works normally under Win7. Is there any way you might know that I can make it work with the Mini? A generic driver perhaps.

If not, I guess my only options will be either to fax with Win7 or get a fax-capable multifunctional.

thanx!

2. flynz4 macrumors 68040

I might be mistaken... but I thought I read that fax support was dropped from Mountain Lion (or maybe even Lion).

/Jim

3. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

4. drlacan, Jan 13, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2013

drlacan thread starter macrumors newbie

First of all thanx for the replies guys

I am on SL so no prob there. But now that you've mentioned it I looked it up and it seems that they only dropped the support of Apple external USB modem, not the service altogether. Although I'll probably stick with Lion anyway, I'm upgrading from SL soon (waiting for RAM to be delivered).

The 5637 has official support by USR. There are Mac drivers offered for dl in the product's page (up to 10.8). But no such thing for my 5633. I am tempted to install those drivers and see what happens, but I do not know if that's a good idea. What do you think? Any reason I should not try it?

5. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

Run the 5637 script and see if 5633 works. If not purchase 5637 for around $45 and you will already have the OS ready to go.

6. drlacan thread starter macrumors newbie

Tried the drivers for 5637, it's a no-go unfortunately. Well, it was a long shot. Thank you fpr the suggestion but I won't buy the $45 modem; my faxing is very rare, so I guess I can always resort to Win7 when needed.

If by any chance there are any other suggestions or possible solutions, don't hesitate :)

7. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

8. drlacan thread starter macrumors newbie

Compared to the option of buying a <$5-worth device for $45, trust me, it's a resort awright ;)