Will this old PC game work?

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by sebascrub, Dec 18, 2008.

1. sebascrub macrumors member

I recently unearthed an old PC game (from 2000) that was part of a series of games that I basically spent my childhood playing. The game is PC Futbol 2000 Clausura, if anyone recognizes it, and it is basically a football manager program, specifically for Argentine football. Anyway, I got nostalgic and wondered if I could play this on my MacBook under either BootCamp or Parallels/VMWare.

Here are the requirements for the game:
    Windows 95/98
    Pentium 150 MhZ
    32 Mb RAM
    GFX card compatible with DirectX 7

Can I run this under Win XP? Do I need to install anything in particular that wouldn't come with the XP install, because this game is so old?

Thanks!

2. Tastannin macrumors 6502

Tastannin

Best bet is to just go ahead and install it under a virtualized XP install. (Parallels/VMware/Virtual Box) See what happens.

3. sebascrub thread starter macrumors member

OK, so I tried to install it under Windows XP SP3, running in Parallels 4.0. The loading screen before the wizard seems to work, loading up the progress bar up to 100%, but then, when it would normally go to the installation wizard, the installer crashes. Any ideas?

4. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Try running the installer in compatibility mode for windows 95/98? I managed to get my original copy of Theme Hospital to happily install on my friends Vista laptop, she's even borrowed the disc over the holidays :p

5. sebascrub thread starter macrumors member

Compatibility mode? How would I go about doing that?

6. akm3 macrumors 68020

That is a Windows feature to get windows to run older programs as if they were under older versions of Windows.

I believe you right click on the install.exe and go to properties, and somewhere in there you can change the compatibility settings to Win98 or so.

This might help!

-Allen