Will this PowerBook have the Backlit Keyboard?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by SimonUK5, Feb 2, 2012.

1. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Buying a very nice Powerbook, for school work and doing some light photo work. I need a laptop for school, and my MDD is getting pretty slow :(

Its a 15'' 1.5ghz with 2gb of ram, its the 15'' 'Super drive' version. The guy sent me this(the link below) saying thats what it is, but he hasn't used the machine in so long he doens't know and has no interest to check if the keyboard is backlit, i'm hoping it is.

http://support.apple.com/kb/SP83

Any ideas?

I'm getting it for £100 which is like $170 so pretty good deal!

Simon

2. simsaladimbamba

It says this on the page you (got) linked to:
    I don't understand it though.

3. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

The ambient light sensors (one located under each speaker grill) will automatically adjust the backlight according to need.

4. simsaladimbamba

I know, I was just kidding, as that link included the information the OP was looking for, though didn't look for, I guess. Sarcasm at its worst.

5. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't read that! My bad! Thanks guys! :p

Hoping that the machine lasts me though, longer than my 12'' i had :( This Dell is nice, i really like it, but i miss OS X :( Using the MDD and this Dell Laptop, i love using the MDD but the Dell is much more portable obviously

6. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

Doh! Sorry, my sarcasm detector is having issues. :)

----------

That's a pretty good deal for one with maxed out ram.

Now, let's talk about getting that MDD running right. What do you mean that it is getting slow? Is it slowing down doing the things that you've always done? Or is it just that you're needing to do more demanding things now?

Yes, I know I'm threadjacking, but the original question has been answered so this thread is otherwise done and MDDs running badly make me very sad.

7. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Well its one of the weird single 1.25ghz ones, the really late ones, again maxed with 2gb of ECC ram. It just feels like its missing somthing, i'm not sure what it is, but somthing isn't right. Its got leopard and i'd like tiger on it really, but i had my Retail disks stolen a while back along with some other stuff ( Inculding a Mint Packaged iBook G3 :( ) I think i just need to start again with it, go out and buy a shiny ACD display and a legit set of apple keyboard and mice, set it all up, wipe all the drives and stuff, and start again.... I know that won't make any difference but maybe if i go at it with a different approach i can get it going properly...

8. maril1111 macrumors 68000

maril1111

I am just wondering how the guy can't just turn it on and verify it for you instead of linking you to a page. It just sounds a bit strange so I personally would be a bit careful but the deal sounds good.

9. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

Its all sealed and boxed :/ Although i think its having a OS X Re-install tonight so will get it checked then!

10. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

It could be upgraded to a dual 1.25 pretty cheaply. Leopard will like the extra CPU. A Core Image graphics card can also make a big difference with Leopard.

11. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

No idea what card is in it tbh, i never looked. Its got a DVI and a VGA out though.

Upgrading the CPU worth it? Dual 1.8 G5's are again £100 in the UK Now, so $170 is worth upgrading to that i guess....

12. ThunderSnake macrumors 6502

No ADC? Check system profile and see what it says under GPU.

I'm betting that you could do it pretty cheaply. In the US, they regularly go in the $30 range on eBay. Factor into the equation that you can probably recover at least half of your money when you sell you old CPU. The single 1.25s are still desirable to folks who run MorphOS. They run cooler and Morph uses only one CPU.

13. Ungibbed macrumors 6502

Ungibbed

If it's the A1095 model with the 1.5Ghz G4, you have the backlit keyboard. The only problem is that they are a PITA to upgrade if you want a larger HDD. I upgraded mine to a 320GB and called it a day.

Great machine for everyday use but video playback of .mp4 and youtube is not so great. I used the same machine until I bought my current MBP.

14. mightyquin macrumors newbie

I just bought a 15" A1095 Powerbook, didn't think it had a backlit keyboard until last night when I turned off my reading lamp, about to turn off the laptop and wow, the keyboard sprang into life!

I must add I'm new to Macs, recently bought a Mac Mini to replace my old PC and I'd been in two minds about getting a laptop instead. I figured I'd buy a cheap windows laptop just for internet and writing up docs, and saw this Mac in a s/h store. Seemed a good deal and it looked in very good condition, all worked ok and it had Leopard installed. I don't usually do impulse buys....

I now realise its shortcomings, especially with regards to flash sites and video, but I've downloaded Mactubes (I do like to browse YouTube for stuff) and that works great.

So, I'm happy. I'll get a year or so use out of this I think and look to upgrade to a Macbook when I'm fully used to the Mac OS.

Funny thing is I'm more intrigued by the PB than I am by the Mini!

15. Goftrey macrumors 68000

Goftrey

If you're saying your MDD is getting slow then why buy a PowerBook? Any MDD (apart from the 867, arguably) will kick a PowerBook's butt. They're great machines don't get me wrong, but if you wanted it to rival your MDD, I would've looked at getting a 1st gen MBP.

Enjoy your PowerBook though, gorgeous machines :)

16. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I think there was a actual hardware problem with the MDD, there definitely was something wrong with it.

I think i expect more from a desktop than i do a laptop, thus in my mind things work quicker on laptops(stupid i know :p) Once i can get tiger back on the MDD is should be screaming, maybe even panther, i don't need it on the internet, and aperture and Silver Efex Pro runs on it.....

Simon

17. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

:D This is hysterical....!

18. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

At those prices I would expect to get a lucky find on a >1,5GHz CPU for the Quicksilver (or older) but upgrades for MDD/FW800 seem to be much rarer and expensive.

Dunno, I prefer my 1.5GHz Mini and the PB5.9 for running MorphOS over the 2x1.8 QS, even as that has been tuned down in noise (and from what I've heard MDD/FW800 tend to be even louder than stock QSs).