Will this process erase my first generation iPhone. . .?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by braddick, Jun 28, 2009.

1. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

First off, great set of forums! I'm grateful I located this place. Secondly, a quick question for you folks here.
    I have a first generation iPhone that I synced with iTunes for the 3.0.

I purchased a new 3G S on launch day and all is going swimmingly. I did do a complete restore/erase on the older phone thinking I was going to sell it on eBay.

At the last moment I decided against it and wanted instead to use it as a sort of ipod/Touch.

The only way I could again load apps and music was to take the SIMS card out of my new phone and insert it in the old (iTunes wouldn't allow any action until I did so).

I have now downloaded a bunch of music and apps on the old phone, removed the SIMS card and placed it back in my new one.

My question: I figure as long as I don't attempt to sync this non-sims phone with iTunes I shouldn't loose anything. In fact, since doing the above I have simply inserted it into an adapter that is plugged in the wall for charging.

Am I being too cautious? Can I charge (and, sync) in iTunes without sims card and without loosing any data?

I'd hate to try it and then start all over again.

2. nintendoguy macrumors newbie

once it is activated, you do not need to have a sim card in it to sync

3. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

Sim card is only needed to activate it. As long as you dont restore it again, no need to have a sim card in it.

4. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Excellent!
    Thank you.

I'll now give that a try with less trepidation.

5. braddick thread starter macrumors 68040

braddick

Quick update:

I hooked up the iPhone without the sim card and sure enough, it synced without incident.

Looking back, I don't know why I was afraid it wouldn't.
    It's good to know if anyone else wants to do what i did they may do so without fear of loosing it all and having to start the process over again.

It is also advantageous because I'm allowed to sync all the future app updates without incident.