Will this RAID config work with Bootcamp?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Abbas, Oct 11, 2008.

1. Abbas macrumors member

The Mac Pro has 4 drive bays and I was thinking of putting two 750GB drives for Software RAID0 along with one 1TB for Time machine and use the last one for a 500GB disk with Vista in Bootcamp- when needed.

I've heard RAID and Bootcamp dont work well but I'm not sure if thats for setting up Bootcamp on a RAID partition. Will a dedicated drive for Windows also be an issue for Bootcamp?

Also, Tim Machine is doing backups so I dont feel uncomfortable about losing data in case a drive goes bad- its just a matter of replacing the drive(s) and restoring from the Time Machine Backup.

@

2. nanofrog macrumors G4

Yes, from your description, you want to boot OS X from the RAID 0 array, but Windows from a separate HDD. This would work. :)

Otherwise, No, as Software RAID can't be shared by multiple OS's. It would work in OS X only, as windows couldn't read a SW RAID set-up under a different OS.

To create a RAID array that can be handled by both OS's, you'd need a hardware solution. If you decided to boot from the array (both OS's) further complicates matters, as there aren't very many possibilities.

Hope this helps. :)

3. Abbas thread starter macrumors member

Excellent- thanks for the clarification