Will this RAM work in Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by eXan, Aug 19, 2007.

1. eXan macrumors 601

eXan

FB-Dimm Kingston DDR2 667Mhz Dual Rank x4 KVR667D2D4F5-2G

Will it work in mac pro?

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

No, I do not recommend it. It does not have the Apple-approved-type heatsink, and Kingston does not guarantee it for Mac Pros. It's made for rackmount servers which don't have the room for the large heatsinks (and also have g@wdawful noisy high-volume fans)

The correct Kingston kits for MacPro are KTA-MP667AK2/2G (2 x 1 Gb) and KTA-MP667AK2/4G (2 x 2 Gb)

3. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Urgh... thats bad news.

So, if this RAM would be used in a Mac Pro, what the consequences might be? Whats the chance of RAM overheating?

P.S.: Mac Pro is either 2.0 or 2.66, if that matters.

4. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

I can't say for sure, I have never tried this RAM in a Mac and never will, but... Kingston says don't use it in a Mac, Apple says don't use it in a Mac, and Kingston ValueRAM has had a long and chequered history regards Mac compatibility. Kingston's KTA- series are great in Macs, but the KVR-series has been ugly at times.

5. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Just go with Apple certified RAM...My recommendations: OWC.

6. eXan thread starter macrumors 601

eXan

Not to be rude, but plz look at my location (below avatar). Are you sure we have OWC here? ;)

The problem is, we bough 4 2GB sticks of FB-DIMM for selling in our store, selling specifically for Mac Pros (no other computers here use FB-RAM). But it appears to be not good with MPs, which is very sad. I hope it works though, as we need to sell them anyway...

7. MorzillA macrumors 6502

MorzillA

HOLIE FUDGESICLES!!! :eek: sorry I could not help myself!! yeah that is pretty far away, I am no RAM wiz but I do wish you the best in locating the proper RAM for your MPs!!

:apple:

8. SDAVE macrumors 68040

SDAVE

Whoops, my mistake :)

Hmm, the best you can do is find Apple certified heatsinks and do a custom heatsink on your RAM modules...other than that, maybe try contacting a U.S. dealer like OWC and see if they can ship it to Russia?

Dasvidanya :)