Will this RAM work in my 13" 2010 MBP.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chkenwing, Aug 19, 2014.

1. chkenwing, Aug 19, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

chkenwing macrumors regular

Hi,

I have a 2.4GHz 13" MBP with only 4GB RAM (using OS Mav) and I'm looking to upgrade it with more memory.

I'm not too sure when it comes to the inner workings of Macs but I was wondering whether there are any special requirements for Mac systems in regards to RAM.

I've seen some manufacturers that advertise RAM specifically for Apple and I'm wondering whether I really do need to pay over the extra premium for this compatibility, or will any RAM do (as long as it matches the speed).

I know the 2010 2.4 is rated PC3-8500 (204 pin).

My options is to either go for the following:

Kingston 4GB ~$400HK(~$55-60USD) http://www.amazon.com/Kingston-Tech...=1408514514&sr=1-2&keywords=kingston+1066+mac

Or will something like this work (but it's not stated for Apple use)

G.Skill F3-10666CL9S-4GBSQ ~$200HK (~$25USD) http://www.gskill.com/en/product/f3-10666cl9s-4gbsq

Specs:

DDR3-1333 (PC3-10600/PC3-10666)
    4GB (4GBx1)
    CL9-9-9-24
    1.50 Volt

Any help on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

3. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

Basically all "Mac memory" is just the regular stuff with a different sticker on the side. Calling it a downright scam is in my opinion a pretty good description because the only memory that won't work in a mac is the stuff with big heat spreaders.

4. chkenwing thread starter macrumors regular

So basically there isn't actually any difference whether I buy "Apple certified" and generic RAM?

Also, I did some extra reading, seems like 1333MHz doesn't play nice with the 2010 13" models.....it's gonna be difficult trying to find PC3-8500 here in HK (technology moves too fast here!)

Also, what about ECC? Is it best to get ECC RAM for MBPs?

5. SarcasticJoe macrumors 6502a

SarcasticJoe

ECC, or error correcting memory is a slightly different type of memory that discovers and corrects data corruption trough hardware by storing an inverse copy (i.e 1's become 0's and 0's become 1's) of every "word" and checking that none of the bits match up. So unless the machine is built to use it, Apple has never built a laptop that does, the stuff won't work. The only machine in Apple's current lineup with EEC memory is the Mac Pro.

Most motherboards downclock higher clock frequency memory, but some laptop boards have problems with this and it can be a good idea to go for the correct clock frequency. As for "Apple Certified" memory, it's a lie because Apple doesn't certify any memory, they just use the regular stuff.

6. chkenwing thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for that information, greatly appreciated!

Now time to scour HK and look for normal PC8500 ram! :D