Will this RAM work? Is it PC2-5300?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by loudmouth2332, Apr 15, 2009.

1. loudmouth2332 macrumors newbie

Hello,

I have a 2.0 GHz 2006 Macbook. I know the RAM needs to be DDR2 PC2 5300 200 pin and I can max out at 2GB of RAM in this system. Right now I have 2 half-gig chips and am looking to upgrade.

Now here is the catch. I also just got an ASUS 1000he netbook. This comes stock with a gig of RAM which I switched out for a CRUCIAL 2 gig chip. So now I have this 1 gig chip sitting around wondering if I can stick it in my macbook (as well as try to get my hands on a matching chip to knock my macbook up to the max 2 gigs of RAM and so I get the dual channel support...i know it probably doesn't need to be matching but it would make me and my neurotic self sleep better at night knowing they are)

So anyway, I know this RAM chip I took out of my ASUS machine is DDR2 and 200pin but I have no way of knowing if it is PC2-5300. I know the Asus can handle PC2-6400 RAM but I don't know if that is what it comes with.

Here are the specs it says on the sticker on the RAM if it helps anyone find my answer.

ASint DDRII 1GB-667
    SSY264M8-J6EH (i assume this is the part number)

So yea, I just wanted to make sure this RAM was PC2-5300 and compatible with my Macbook and see if anyone here knew the scoop.

Thanks!

2. kyrian macrumors newbie

ok, look at the line you type down, "ASint DDRII 1GB-667"
    the 667 denotes the bus speed, in this case, 667 is the bus speed of the pc5300 (as far as google tells me) so yes, you should be ok.

3. loudmouth2332 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ah ok. I didn't know that that denoted PC2-5300

That should be helpful to know in the future.

Thanks a lot! :)