Will This RAM Work (Late 2012 27" iMAC)?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by hotelfive, Dec 26, 2012.

1. hotelfive, Dec 26, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

hotelfive macrumors newbie

I'm sorry guys but I'm getting myself totally confused with the whole RAM thing...I'm looking to get the new lat2 2012 iMAC (27") and want to get my own RAM for it. Can anyone tell me if the below RAM is compatible with the new iMAC?

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148614

I know it says it is laptop memory.....does that make in non-compatible?

I read a bunch of the posts talking about RAM upgrades and cannot decipher what is compatible or not.

One further question...If I get the standard 8 gig that comes with it, do I need to remove it or can I simply add the new RAM to the empty slots (ie can I use different brands and sizes of RAM)?

Thanks in advance!

2. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

That's the right one. iMacs use "laptop" memory.

Yes, the 27" iMacs have 2 empty slots, so you can install the new memory in those and leave the existing RAM in place.

3. hotelfive thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply..I did a bit more digging as well. Turns out that on the Crucial website the model I listed above is listed as NOT COMPATIBLE with the new iMac, even though it is the exact same specs....here's a link to the Crucial board explaining the compatibility (no wonder this is confusing lol)

http://forum.crucial.com/t5/Apple-Mac-Memory/iMac-2012-upgrade-which-type/td-p/113742

So as it appears the above item IS compatible with the new iMac....

4. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

Crucial's been doing something shady lately, and I don't like it. They'll list 2 kits of identical RAM under different part numbers. They'll list one as "not compatible" with Macs. Then they'll list the other one for $5 more and say it's compatible. But - they're the exact same RAM. Check the specs. Timing & speed are exactly the same. If you press them on it, they'll tell you the cheaper one works too.

5. hotelfive thread starter macrumors newbie

Yup here's another thread I found on their forums that doesn't help ease the confusion..

http://forums.crucial.com/t5/Apple-Mac-Memory/16-GB-Ram-Part-numbers/td-p/105762

The one quote I really don't get from the moderator their is this one,

"Part number CT2KIT102464BF160B is our standard memory, it's the same speed and type but the other parts are designed to work with Mac systems."

So he's basically saying they are the same RAM but one works better for Macs???

6. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

The $5 gets you "compatible with Apple" printed on the packaging. Nothing more.

7. woodztream macrumors newbie

I have that exact RAM on my table, just waiting for the iMac to arrive. Starting to get second thoughts though. Is it possible that it won't be compatible? Would I be better off with Kingston HyperX KHX16S9P1K2/16
    16GB DDR3 PC3-12800 1600MHz Non-ECC SODIMM CL9? Will CL9 memory be noticeably faster?

Man this memory hunt is hard. :)

/Micke

8. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

It's fine, leave it be.

As I recall, CL11 is the same as the stock RAM. You wouldn't get any benefit of CL9 unless you remove the stock RAM. I don't think the benefit is that great anyway.

9. woodztream macrumors newbie

Thanks for your response. I have actually bought 32GB so I will be removing the stock RAM. But I guess the difference between CL9 and CL11 is not worth thinking about. :)

/Micke

10. forty2j macrumors 68030

forty2j

I did some research this morning, as I was curious myself just how big the difference was. .. Essentially none at all.

CL9 will get you a trivial but noticeable performance gain on systems with integrated graphics (not iMacs); in other scenarios the performance gain won't be noticeable at all outside a server environment. CL9 chips also tend to be lower voltage, which would save you a trivial amount of heat and battery life (so, not iMacs).

11. woodztream macrumors newbie

That's good to know. Thanks! :)