Will this Ram work on a Mid 09 Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by alexxk, Nov 16, 2015.

1. alexxk macrumors 6502

Hello everyone,

I have an old Mid 2009 Macbook pro with 4GB ram running at 1067 MHZ.

Recently I purchased a new iMac and replaced the RAM with other models and now I have 8GB 1867MHZ here and I'm wondering if my old macbook can make use of these? I understand if it does work it will run at a lower clock..

Any thoughts?

Thanks

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nope. 1066MHz modules. Any faster, and they occasionally won't boot/post, be recognised, or at the very best scenario, it'll just underclock. Also worth noting that your model can only accept 2x4GB DDR3 1066MHz DIMMs, it can't go up to 16GB or just accept 1x8GB in place of 2x4GBs.

Worth a try if you've got some there, but I wouldn't put your money on it.

3. alexxk thread starter macrumors 6502

they are 2 4GB actually.. but they are really fast.. just wondering if I use them they would run at a lower clock..

Is there a problem trying them? I mean, if its not compatible and I try to use them, could I damage something with the computer?

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Nah you won't damage anything, it'll just beep a few times on startup to say it's not compatible. If it works, great, but it'll definitely run at a lower clock - if it doesn't, don't worry too much, as it shouldn't cost too much for 2x4GB 1066MHz.

Of course the best hardware upgrade for your MacBook Pro will always be an SSD, so if you haven't already it may be worth chucking some cash towards that.

5. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I was able to get 2 X 4GB 1333MHz RAM working in my 13" 2009 MBP. 1600MHz RAM didn't work, I doubt anything faster would either.