will this ram work?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by tkepongo, Nov 16, 2007.

1. tkepongo macrumors regular

tkepongo

2. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

The macbooks just got updated and Apple released the holiday guide in their store. Other than the usual $100 rebate off a printer thing I don't think anything is coming up.

The ram looks like it will probably work. (Personally I'd be careful with buy.com, their shipping department is sometimes over taken by monkeys.)

3. chriswheat macrumors regular

The ram will work fine. But here's another vote for staying away from buy.com. Just personal preference.

I wouldn't expect any Macbook upgrades for at least 5 or 6 months. So there probably won't be any deals either...besides the Christmas guide out now.

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

In general I highly recommend only buying RAM which is manufacturer guaranteed 100% Mac-compatible and which has a lifetime warranty. You have to be very careful when it comes to replacement policies, restocking fees, etc.

CanadaRAM is our resident RAM guru and would be able to comment on this specific module.

In general, there is a great deal of information in our RAM Guides here on MacRumors as well. :cool:

5. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

buy.com is crap and for the most part so is Kingston ram unless you get their high quality stuff.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231124

Stick with newegg. That is basically the same price for the same speed, a much better brand than Kingston (yes it works with macs, several people in the comments are using macbooks, "mac certified" ram is a scam), and the shipping speed at newegg is unrivaled.

6. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

I wouldn't go as far to say that mac certified ram is a scam. Upgrades have been known to cause macs to suddenly reject ram do to a change in tolerance.

7. stainlessliquid macrumors 68000

Intel macs or PPC macs? I know Macs were intolerant of a lot of ram a long time ago with PPC, but I have never seen any evidence to support that claim with Intel macs (I bet its extremely difficult to find ram from a reputable brand today that doesnt work in a mac). Even PC's had trouble with ram back then though, Kingston was a major culprit. Compatibility nowadays is very high unless you get one of the weird companies that only last like a month before creating another brand to sell their shady ram to keep their reputation fresh. A ram company needing to say their ram is "mac certified" seems fishy and I probably wouldnt trust it very much since they need a gimmick to sell their ram.

8. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

For the record, this is false. It is very important to have RAM which is guaranteed to be compatible with a Mac. Some of it is, some of it isn't, so it is an important distinction to make.