Will this RAM work?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ppc970, Nov 28, 2009.

1. ppc970 macrumors newbie

I wanted to add more RAM to my PowerMac G5 1.8GHz and I found two 256MB sticks lying around my house from my dead Windows XP computer. I looked up on Apples website that I needed DDR 400 RAM for my PowerMac, and the two sticks I found are DDR 333, which according to Apple are only for the 1.6GHz PowerMac G5. Will they still work in my 1.8GHz PowerMac? If they work, I know my system memory will be at 333MHz, which is fine cause I only browse the web and type documents on this old computer now. I just wanted to put the memory to use.

Also, I have a single 512MB DDR 400 RAM Stick I found as well. From what I read, I have to install memory in pairs. Is this true? Will I be able to also utilize this 512MB Stick? (It has no matching pair)

Thank You

2. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

The pair of 256 MB sticks will work - the system may keep the speeds on the higher pair and just run the slower pair at their slower clock speed. In post number 4 of the thread I linked, my G5 is capable of running just fine with RAM of two different speeds.

But yes, you will have to get another 512 MB stick to pair up in your G5. If its SDRAM, it can be had secondhand for cheap - it should run maybe $5-6 at most for a stick of it if you can find it on [H]ard's Marketplace.

3. ppc970 thread starter macrumors newbie