Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

borgqueens

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 10, 2013
Denmark
Hi in agust I´m gonna start in Engenering school and need to replies my old 13" mbp with a 15" rBMP for the bigger display for more windows side by side in class. I don´t need the high end with the dGPU but if I upgrade the low end 15" to same CPU, RAM, and space spec. It costs the same.

My question is if I go for this option:
2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Will I ever feel like I needed the last 300MHz CPU ?

I know I´m gonna do programming but I do not think it will be programming that is CPU heavy in anyway. However I do not know for sure if I´ll need to do anything that will require the dGPU.

On advance I will like to thank you all for any and all ideas and surgenstions and opinions you might offer.

atticus27

macrumors regular
Feb 2, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
the baseline 15" will be fine. I use a 13" for coding iOS and android apps and moderate editing in final cut and it runs them pretty smooth.

Hieveryone

macrumors 603
Apr 11, 2014
USA
Hi in agust I´m gonna start in Engenering school and need to replies my old 13" mbp with a 15" rBMP for the bigger display for more windows side by side in class. I don´t need the high end with the dGPU but if I upgrade the low end 15" to same CPU, RAM, and space spec. It costs the same.

My question is if I go for this option:
2.0GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.2GHz
16GB 1600MHz DDR3L SDRAM
512GB PCIe-based Flash Storage

Will I ever feel like I needed the last 300MHz CPU ?

I know I´m gonna do programming but I do not think it will be programming that is CPU heavy in anyway. However I do not know for sure if I´ll need to do anything that will require the dGPU.

On advance I will like to thank you all for any and all ideas and surgenstions and opinions you might offer.

That sounds very good. 16GB is a lot of ram so unless you're using some heavy engineering software 8GB might be enough. To put it into perspective, the Xbox One has 8GB ram. I think 2.0 MHz CPU is great. I wouldn't worry about the .3 MHz unless you think it'll bother you later.

simon48

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2010
Will this rMBP be what I need?

That sounds very good. 16GB is a lot of ram so unless you're using some heavy engineering software 8GB might be enough. To put it into perspective, the Xbox One has 8GB ram. I think 2.0 MHz CPU is great. I wouldn't worry about the .3 MHz unless you think it'll bother you later.

Did you seriously just compare the rMBP's RAM to the Xbox One's RAM!? That is an awful comparison, RAM is used the most when multitasking which the Xbox One does almost none of. If the OP will be doing a lot at the same time and/want it to be running smooth for many years I'd get 16GB of RAM.

Last edited:

robE89

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2011
Anyone who is coding on rMBP`'s: does the 15 feel THAT much better than 13' in terms on screen estate? or the difference is negligible?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.