Will this run Creative Cloud

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marty1990, Sep 5, 2015.

1. marty1990 macrumors 6502

... for the next 3 years?

I'm on a late 2011 base model MacBook Pro 13". Bought when I was in university for Photoshop, Illustrator and InDesign.

I don't do much of that stuff anymore, don't get the time with work, but I'm wanting to do it in my spare time. Problem is though, the Mac runs everything poorly now. Think it's time for an upgrade.

Looked at the 5k iMac for the screen, but I'd miss the portability I think. Retina Pro's seem cool but they're not full 4k. MacBook seems real nice but maybe underpowered with the Core M, not sure if the software would run so well? Seems like a glorified netbook

2. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Why does the MBP need to be 4k?

MBP is what I would get for your needs. rMB should work though.

3. marty1990 thread starter macrumors 6502

More for future proofing.

Yeah MBP would probably be the better option, like the form factor of the MB. Like an Air with Retina.

4. mainframe_module macrumors newbie

mainframe_module

im running it fine on mine. base 1.1 model too.

5. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

CC runs fine on my 1.2. For what I use it for (mainly lightroom, occasional basic PS work with not many layers), not really any different to my MBP i7 in terms of speed.

There's more headroom in the MBP, sure, but if anything, the CC apps are getting more processor-efficient, not less - CC '15 runs more smoothly than 6.0 ever did. I think you'll be fine for three years.

6. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Lasting 3 years+? You want portability? Get a rMBP. It's quite a stretch for me to see Adobe CC apps being usable 3 years from now on 2015 rMB, but "usable" is purely subjective here ... it's one of those "in the eye of the beholder" things, IMO. You are the one that's going to be best suited to answer your questions.

This is what I would do if I was as torn about deciding as you seem to be:

- Bring trial copies of Adobe CC, along with some files that you made, into an Apple Store and ask a Genius (tee-hee-hee) if you can install them on a floor unit to check things out for yourself. Failing that ...

- Get what you feel might be best, and figuratively beat the crap out of it before the 2 week return period is over. If it's not what you want, then return it within that 2 week period and get something else.

7. mikeray macrumors regular

Want to bet on that? :D Processor performance has hit a kind of plateau, portability/battery life are where the real gains are leaning.

8. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

Which means Adobe better stop adding things to their CC products, else they will hit the limit of said "plateau" sooner rather than later, in which case the longevity of the 2015 rMB will be called into question a few years from now.

So, betting that Adobe rests on their proverbial laurels, and plays it safe, so that they reduce risk of hitting "the plateau", is not the type of bet that I would be willing to take. If I were, then I would probably be safer picking a different vendor than Adobe.