Will this Samsung SSD fit in 15-inch MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by MM94941, Dec 29, 2015.

1. MM94941 macrumors newbie

2. Rhinoevans macrumors 6502

They are all the same form factor size, and I have the 500G in my 13". So yes it fits. On your second question, IMO, no.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Yes it will fit.

HD is user replaceable. You just need a screwdriver and some patience. Follow one of the many guides available.

The 850 EVO is a very good drive. A better drive for more money is the 850 Pro, but the minor performance improvements will not be visible because the 2010 MBP only has SATA II. So, go with the 850 EVO. It's a good drive.

4. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

I literally just finished about 10 minutes ago swapping the HD out of my mid-2010 MBP for that exact same SSD! Bought mine from Amazon as well! Was getting tired of the spinning beach ball every time I clicked something.

So yes, it fits. Yes, it's easy to do. OtherWorldComputing (macsales.com) has an instructional video that lays it out beautifully, couldn't be any more clear. I ordered one of their enclosures (the USB/Firewire one) to use to format the Samsung and then used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone my HD to it. Then I did the swap. Working beautifully so far, though it's been only 10-15 minutes.

Longest part was cloning the existing drive. My 500 gig was just about full, and it took about 6 hours or so to clone it through the Firewire port. I would not recommend using the USB 2.0 port that we're blessed with on the mid-2010's.

Go for it! I might be able to get a few more years out of this thing yet. No beach balls yet!

5. MM94941, Dec 30, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2015

MM94941 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you guys, all of you, for your answers, they helped a lot. I'm about to order it right now!

I have one more question. Will I need to format the drive before MBP will recognize it? Also, I read somewhere, Mac OS doesn't let the SSD read or write correctly, something about the rights, or TRIM option... if that's true, can I change it to work properly?

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

Google how to turn on TRIM. You just type one line into terminal. It's pretty easy.
    Yes, you have to format it into HFS+, which you can do in disk utility when you get it. It will also happen anyway if you restore from a backup to transfer your files.

7. snaky69 macrumors 603

Yes you will have to format it. It takes all of 5 seconds in disk utility and will need to be done before you install the OS on it.

As for the other question, I don't understand what you're trying to say. OS X works just fine with SSDs?

8. Fishrrman macrumors G3

OP:
    Some thoughts:

Be sure that you get THE RIGHT TOOLS to do the drive swap.
    On my 2010 MBPro 13", they are a #00 Phillips driver and a TORX T-6.
    These can be found at Home Depot, Lowe's, hardware stores, Sears, etc.

I would suggest that you buy an external USB3 enclosure, and "prep and test" the new drive BEFORE you install it by placing it into the enclosure.
    After you've swapped drives, use the enclosure for your old HDD.

Reason:
    If any "glitches" appear, you will still have a working MacBook and this will make correcting things MUCH easier.
    Once you have the new drive ready to go, do a test boot by rebooting and holding down the option key until the startup manager appears. Then select the SSD/external and boot from it.
    If you "get a good boot", and if everything looks as you like, THEN it's time to "do the swap" ...

9. midloman macrumors regular

midloman

Not sure when USB3 came into being, but on my mid-2010 MBP, there is no USB3. I would recommend getting an enclosure with a Firewire 400/800 connection (OWC sells them) for the hard drive. That's probably gonna work a lot better and faster than the USB2 on the MBP.

That's what I did. Got the Samsung SSD. Put it in the enclosure and formatted it with Disk Utility in Mac format. Used Carbon Copy Cloner to clone the original hard drive still in the Mac (through the Firewire port to the SSD). Swapped the two drives and I'm loving life!

10. MM94941 thread starter macrumors newbie

I replaced the HD and RAM, and I cannot believe how better my Mac is, it's absolutely blazing! And I wanna thank you guys for all of your help, you've all been very helpful!