Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SpanklyMcDoodle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Seagate SV35.5 Series SATA 1.0 TB Internal Hard Drive (ST31000525SV)

Putting it into an external enclosure to use with an older MBP.

My concern is it being advertised as designed specifically for surveillance.

What could be the disadvantage in this design?

Some use will be for multi audio stream playback/recording.

A couple of partitions for operating systems.

The rest, back-up of what's on my older, smaller drives.

Thanks

check out my music here

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
It says that it's designed to be low power and meant for 24/7 running. I haven't heard about that model before so I would stick with known models that are designed for everyday use. If you're going to use it externally, WD Caviar Green is a decent deal

SpanklyMcDoodle

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 7, 2006
Thanks for the suggestion Hellhammer, that is a good price, I was looking for a 7200 rpm drive. Better for recording music.

So, you think that the 24/7 running aspect is somehow a hindrance?

check out my music here

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Thanks for the suggestion Hellhammer, that is a good price, I was looking for a 7200 rpm drive. Better for recording music.

It doesn't matter. Caviar Green has maximum bandwidth of ~78MB/s IIRC while USB 2.0 tops out at ~35MB/s and FireWire 800 at ~80MB/s. Simply put, a faster HD won't speed up the recording as the interface is the bottleneck.

HDs have limited lifespan but e.g. your internal HD is running most of the time and it's just fine. They are meant to run

Goldenbear

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2007
Los Angeles

check out my music here

I would think 24/7 makes this a more reliable drive than the regular consumer line. It certainly costs more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.