Will this SSD from Intel be a good one for my 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Imola Ghost, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Imola Ghost, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

Imola Ghost macrumors 65816

2. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

That's a good drive, yes. What year is your MacBook Pro?

3. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

4. LiesForTheLiars macrumors regular

You should be fine then in regards to the upgrade.

Edit: Actually I'm not sure if the 2009 requires a firmware upgrade in order to take advantage of the SATA speeds.

5. Ccrew macrumors 68020

My opinion is next time ask BEFORE you buy :)

But to answer your question, it's an OK drive. Certainly not the fastest out there, but it's a solid drive from a dependability standpoint.

6. intelssd, Feb 25, 2012
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2012

intelssd macrumors newbie

I put in the 34nm older unit X25-M 160GB SSDSA2M160G2GC SSD and they can be had for a good price. Looks your link was for a G3 for generation 3 unit with finer built parts 25nm. Intel SSDSA2CW160G3K5 SSD

Id make sure your new ssd firmware is up to date. I installed the OS then updated the firmware, then wipe drive and reinstall OS is what i did. You have to get the .iso file off Intel's site then burn a image of the file on a cd with Disk Utility. Then boot from that cd. Put disk in and shutdown. Then turn on and hold c on keyboard.

Then you can turn off the sudden motion sensor if you want.

Also in preferences... make sure you have energy settings that dont turn off the hard drive disk.

Then if your able activate TRIM.. use the app called Trim Enabler, install and restart the computer.

7. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Held "C" while booting up to install Lion but nothing is happening.

The disk drive just spins and the Apple Logo is on the middle of the screen.

I'm guessing it may be the firmware your speaking of needs updating.

8. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Cannot seem to get it to boot to the Cd drive so I can install Lion. I check the SSD firmware and it said I had the latest and it didn't need updating.

Am I doing something wrong?

9. intelssd macrumors newbie

If you have your new drive installed and your lion cd was already in the drive you should be good to go. With the computer off just hit that power button then like 2sec later hold C down for like 15sec.. It should start pulling the os info off the cd which takes 1min sometimes and then you can use Disk Utility to setup a partition and then install the os.

10. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

I've done this and my Lion disk just spins and spins, eventually the MacBook just turns off. It tries booting for about 10-15 minutes before it powers down.

I've used the Lion disk before and not had any problems.

Ideas?

11. intelssd macrumors newbie

sounds super rare.. maybe you put in the wrong disk.. the applications disk.. make sure its the OS disk.. Put the old hard drive back in and try it.. weird

12. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

My Lion disk was only one disk, no separate applications disk.

13. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I'm assuming you actually MADE a Lion disc, because you can't buy one and machines don't come with them.

14. jekyoo macrumors 6502

Lion disk? Is it a bootable disk that you made? If it is, I would try putting that disk into another macbook pro. That way you can check if it's the SSD or you didn't properly make a bootable lion disk.

15. derickdub macrumors 6502

I have a mid-2009 13" uMBP and had no problems with my 320 SSD nor did I have to upgrade the firmware. I'm getting SATA II speeds too.

First place I'd check is your disk.

16. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

Well it turns out it was my disk. From another website it said that the earlier versions of Lion wouldn't boot.

I'll post a link later to where I found that out. Everything is installed and working fine and FAST with the new solid state drive.

17. Imola Ghost thread starter macrumors 65816

How do you check the SATA II speeds?

I also installed "Trim Enabler" and rebooted, everything looks fine.

18. KPOM macrumors G5

You can download DiskSpeedTest from the Mac App Store.

19. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4s: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

I had the same issue I just used dick utility to clone the hdd to the ssd in a caddy then installed it. Worked first time

20. derickdub macrumors 6502

I didn't check my read/write speeds. I just meant I made sure the drive was functioning at SATA II. It tells you in system profiler.

Apparently some of the mid-2009 MBPs don't support SATA II or requires a firmware update. I'm not sure though since I didn't have any problems.

21. Ccrew macrumors 68020

I did that too, but ended up with three kids that look like their mom instead. :)