Will this ssd work in a Clamshell ibook?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by mikeyrko, Apr 30, 2014.

1. mikeyrko macrumors member

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Either of those should work well in an old clamshell.

3. CapnCrunch53 macrumors member

CapnCrunch53

I'd wait on ordering those just yet, OP. I'm trying to find the thread, but there is an issue with the KingSpec KSD PA25.6 drives, of which those both are, that make them not friendly with the Clamshell's ATA bus. There was a whole thread where people were saying they were unable to get that model to work in their iBooks; I have the .6 version of the 32GB and was actually able to get OS9 installed onto it, but OSX refused to install.

If possible, I'd look for the PA25.1 version of those drives. It's not impossible to get the .6 version to work (at least not with OS9) but it was a real PITA for me and I can't guarantee you'll ever get it working with OSX.

This issue is mentioned in this thread, I thought there was a bigger thread discussing it as well but I've not found it yet.

Looks like you can find the 64GB version of the .1 on ebay for a little more than the .6 was on Amazon, provided you trust that the seller in China actually sends the same model listed.....

4. mikeyrko thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the help.

----------

Can you send me a link of what you think will work. Being honest I don't know what you mean by .1 .6

5. CapnCrunch53 macrumors member

CapnCrunch53

6. Jayratch macrumors newbie

Followup?

I'm on here looking for info about possibly adding an SSD to my blue G3 366mhz clamshell.

The hard drive is making a lot of noise so it may be on the way out, but the battery is amazing, so far getting 3+ hours of active time on it. If I can get this machine working on a modern-ish OS (Tiger), it would become a great library/cafe machine for when I feel like being different and leaving my fancy MacBook Pro behind.

Have you been successful in your upgrades? How unpleasant was the process? The guide on iFixIt makes it look pretty unpleasant. The last time I took apart a computer that complicated was to replace the fan and hard drive in a 2007 HP which covered the whole dining room table in parts. I'm hoping this is less unpleasant.

7. weckart macrumors 68040

I did it with an mSATA drive in an mSATA to IDE adapter. It was laborious but the Clamshell (mine is a 466 FW) is robustly built so if you take your time then it is not too bad. The most difficult thing was reseating the Display and the top lid (left side towards the top in first or it will not sit flat).

I found pulling a Powerbook 12"apart to replace the logic board to take at least twice as long with many more screws to remove.