Will this SSD work in my Late 2007 Macbook?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by CMelton, Jun 28, 2012.

1. CMelton macrumors regular

CMelton

Hey guys, hope you can help.

Will this SSD that's on offer work in my late 2007 whitebook?

I think my macbook has SATA 3 but this drive is SATA 6, will it still work? albeit slower?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Your MacBook has SATA (1.5 Gb/s), not SATA II (3 Gb/s) or SATA III (6 Gb/s)

You can find specs on all Apple products:
    Yes, it should work, but just won't operate at maximum capability.

3. CMelton thread starter macrumors regular

CMelton

Thanks so much. Any idea how much of a reduction in capability there will be?

Would it still be noticeable over a 5400rpm drive?

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

It will still run circles around any HDD.

5. CMelton thread starter macrumors regular

CMelton

Thank you so much, just what I needed to hear. My laptop is getting slllloooow and it really needs the boost. I know the age of the machine doesn't help but I figure its the cheaper than a whole new machine. Thanks again.

6. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

There are some other things that can improve performance. How much RAM do you have installed? You can use up to 6GB.

Performance Tips For Mac OS X

7. CMelton thread starter macrumors regular

CMelton

Thanks for that link, I'll run through the list later tonight.

I have 2gig installed and though I know it can be upgraded and have been thinking about it recently I feel that it would be a waste of money. I'm hoping to buy a new machine in the holiday season and the RAM is not much cheaper than the SSD at the moment. Bearing that in mind I think the SSD that I can put in an external enclosure down the road is better value for money than RAM that won't be of use in a new machine. Thanks for the suggestion though.

8. aawil macrumors 6502a

aawil

I just put the V+200 version in my late 2007 and like others say it certainly livens it up.

9. CMelton thread starter macrumors regular

CMelton

Thanks for the confirmation. Looking forward to it arriving now, ordered it last night!

10. icemantx macrumors regular

I installed an SSD in my wife's Black MacBook tonight from late 2007 and it works like a charm. Much snappier and makes the MacBook feel like it has new life in it.

The one I bought was from Crucial:

http://www.amazon.com/Crucial-2-5-I...=1341031890&sr=8-1&keywords=crucial+256gb+ssd

The install was simple and only took 10 minutes max plus the time to install the OS and copy over time machine backups.

All in all, it is definitely a good upgrade and feels a good bit faster than my early 2009 iMac. My iMac has a 2 TB 7200 RPM HD in it, but it in no way can outclass an SSD.

On my next iMac I will be sure to have both an SSD and a standard HD for storage. That for me is the best combo. When we buy a new MacBook, it will have an SSD whether it is the Pro or Air.

Jeff

11. CMelton thread starter macrumors regular

CMelton

Installed it last night and it works like a charm. It feels like a new computer again! I can't believe how much it better is, well chuffed!