Will this SSD work with OSX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sepu, Oct 28, 2010.

1. sepu macrumors regular

hey guys I'm very exited I just got my first MP I've been a Mac user for while and I do a lot of 3D and VFX ... I got the 2.4 8 core basic setup
    Now Im thinking in getting of course more ram and a couple of SSD Disk ... one for boot up and Applications and another one for Scratch and Cache files.
    I was looking at these?

http://www.amazon.com/OCZ-Technolog...5JCE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1288301444&sr=8-1

do you know if any of these would work with OSX

And Ram Im was thinking in getting 16GB from OWC

http://eshop.macsales.com/item/Other World Computing/85MP3W4M16GK/

what you guys think? any recommendation thank You.

2. Garen macrumors regular

Garen

Congrats on your new MP :) and yes on both choices they will work with your MP

3. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

4. dissolve macrumors 6502a

Yep I have that same model and it's fantastic. Bought it in August for $140 after rebate. Crazy how prices are coming down so fast. Lucky you ;)

5. johnnymg macrumors 65816

johnnymg

I'd recommend the 3.5" OCZ 120GB drive. Tastes great in a MP!

cheers
    JohnG

6. strausd macrumors 68030

Do you plan on putting the SSD in one of the 4 HD bays or in the second optical bay?

7. sepu thread starter macrumors regular

im not 100% sure ... does make any difference where I put it? this it will be my first time with one of these guys ...

I want to use it for boot up and then Im thinking in getting another one for Cache files or scratch ....

one more question will I see a huge difference if I get 2 of these in Raid 0?

8. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Performance wise, it doesn't make any difference at all. The only difference is the way of mounting it. There are several ways for doing so, you might wanna use the search function as they have been posted very, very often already.

For a boot drive, no. For scratch, certainly.

9. sepu thread starter macrumors regular

gotcha Thank you,

I know Im asking all this things ...
    any ssd should work on the Mac right? I mean dont see why it wouldn't it just a drive am I right assuming this?

Also I have 5.1 Speaker System and my system has 3 inputs and the mac just have one output right on the back .... can someone recommend a decent Sound Card for the Mac?

10. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Don't hesitate to ask, that's exactly what a forum is for. :)

You're absolutely right with your assumption. Any SSD should, and will work as long as it is a SATA one. PCIe SSD's don't work with OS X (yet).

11. sepu thread starter macrumors regular

just Sata one ? Sata II it should as well right?

12. evildede macrumors member

I've got a G.Skill 120GB SSD with sandforce controller and it works like a charm, so I am guessing the OCZs should work perfectly too. You'll see a huge difference in boot time and also in launching your applications. My wife plays a lot of World of Warcraft and the loading happens almost instantly compared to the 5 to 10 seconds it used to take. It's absolutely crazy, one of the best upgrades I've done to my Mac Pro!

13. macz1 macrumors 6502

macz1

Yes. SATA is designed to be backwards compatible. The drive and the host controller switch to the fatest SATA mode wich is supported by both.

14. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

My advice is: get a 120GB or 2x60GB in RAID. Mainly because certain applications can really add a lot of bloat to your system. 60GB is really too small these days.

Adobe CS + Final Cut, for example, use quite a hefty chunk of hard drive space. Your applications folder can easily be 20-25GB (and don't forget your Application Support folder, especially for Final Cut Studio). Or even things like the iTunes library (even with the music files on a different drive) can grow pretty quickly in size. Mine is about 5-6GB, mainly because of all the iPhone/iPad apps. You can't put those on a different drive (AFAIK).

I myself have an OCZ Vertex 2 120GB in the lower optical bay. I'd suggest just tossing it in the optical bay, that way you got the 4 internal bays left for cheaper hard drives.

Also, make sure you get a 3,5" version. 2,5" is a waste of money if you're going to toss it in a Mac Pro.

15. Transporteur macrumors 68030

I wouldn't say that. Firstly, 2.5" drives are not more expensive than 3.5" drives and secondly do they always leave you with the option to put them in another system (laptop or Mini) in case that you want to upgrade.

16. Goldfinger macrumors 6502

3,5" drives are cheaper. Over here anyway. My 3,5" was €210, the 2,5" was €250.
    Sure if you want to throw the drive into a laptop later on you could go for the 2,5". But are you really going to do that? I, personally, won't. But of course it depends... I was just talking from my point of view ;)

You could also go for 2,5" drives if you want to put a RAID config in the optical bay (if you add some SATA connectors, a port multiplier won't cut it).

That said if the 2,5" and 3,5" versions ARE the same price (or if you don't mind the small difference in cost) then do go for the 2,5" version.

Either way, get the largest capacity you can afford. 120GB seems to be the sweet spot at the moment.

17. fairbanx macrumors member

18. sepu thread starter macrumors regular

19. Bokes macrumors 6502

Would an SSD drive give me better/faster render and compression performance with programs such as squeeze and compressor?

20. fairbanx macrumors member

21. barmann macrumors 6502

22. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

That's a good point. I didn't notice it wasn't a Vertex 2.