Will this supermodel be the face of Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Rogifan, Oct 2, 2014.

1. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Looks like this might be the face of :apple:Watch.

http://www.vogue.co.uk/news/2014/10/02/liu-wen-face-of-apple-watch-model-rumours

[​IMG]

It seems obvious that Apple is initially targeting women. This event at Colette, Jony Ive interview in Vogue, teaming up with a supermodel. Having Anna Wintour's sign of approval is huge. I fully expect to see :apple:Watch advertisements in the pages of Vogue at some point.

2. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I thought this was the face of the Apple watch.
    Screen Shot 2014-10-02 at 9.09.11 AM.png

3. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Will this supermodel be the face of Apple Watch?

Lol. Good.

I think it is unlikely that Apple would make any one person THE face of any of its products.

I also disagree that Apple would mainly target women, whether initially or later on.

4. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

I disagree. It seems obvious with all the marketing so far that Apple isn't going after tech geeks (who are mostly male). When you get into fashion lots of brands have a face marketing their products. Think Calvin Klein and Kate Moss. I'm sure Apple will have some male models in their advertising campaigns as well but it seems right now the focus is on women. I'm guessing not to many men read Vogue magazine.

5. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Ok. From what I have seen so far, I do not that Apple is focused on women at all. If you're right, I'm sure the focus will become more obvious later. It does not seem that way to me right now. I agree that fashion brands use particular people to represent them, but right now I also do not see Apple doing that. But that might change.

I actually do not care either way, so I'll not waste more time talking about it ha.

6. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

Honestly I see men being a tougher nut to crack, tougher to pry away from their traditional watch. Apple might have a better time targeting women for early adopters.

7. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

She's a fine-looking woman, but the technology sector's use of fine-looking Asian women to shift product is incredibly clichéd and Apple are one of the worst offenders.

Have just taken the following from Apple's UK site...

[​IMG]

In the UK 2011 census, 430,000 or less than 0.7% of the population defined themselves as ethnically Chinese; less than one million people living in the UK were born in East Asian countries (including China).

8. Rogifan thread starter macrumors P6

Rogifan

According to the article I posted this model is one of the top paid models and has done campaigns with big fashion houses. Did she become a top model because she's Chinese? I have no idea but my guess is Apple is working with her because of her status as a top model. Being Chinese is just a bonus.

9. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Hmmm, not so sure, although I'm certain no-one at Apple consciously thought 'geeks have yellow fever, let's hire an Asian model'.

Might not be look so strange in the US, where the Asian population is proportionately larger, but in the UK the use of pretty Asian girls to shift electronics is a bit of a joke. The 'Asian=tech' association dates back to the appearance of Japanese TVs and stereos in the 1970s. A lot of UK retailers actually rebadged their own-brand tat with pseudo-Japanese names, together with pseudo-Japanese marketing, and it actually boosted sales.

10. kage207 macrumors 6502a

These photos are on the American site too...

11. mojolicious, Oct 2, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2014

mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Weird, I can't see either of the first two on the US site. I thought that the blue-shirted couple were Apple Support poster children globally, but now I'm not so sure.

The US iPhone page has this one...

[​IMG]

...and the South African Support page has this:

[​IMG]

It looks as if Apple have a one-size-fits-all 'Caucasian+Asian' policy, regardless of the market's ethnic composition.

Sorry, this is getting off topic.

Liu Wen is very pretty.

EDIT: that last pic, with the guy in glasses, seems to be common to most Support pages in smaller markets.

Another pic which crops up again and again is this one of The Most Racially Indeterminate Little Girl In The World...

[​IMG]

Sorry. Even further off topic.

Liu Wen remains very pretty.

12. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Apple could and will likely hit the BIG 3 in promoting the aWatch.

1) Fashion/Style (as per this thread)
    2) Health/Fitness (maybe with a Sports 'face' or 2,3,...)
    3) Connectivity/Notifications/Email/... (traditional iDevice/Mac type)

13. KPOM macrumors G5

Apple Watch is probably the only watch in its class that many women would even think of buying. There are more women than men, so it makes sense to target this demographic, particularly if it will be out by Valentine's Day.

14. kage207 macrumors 6502a

The first one was found on the Mac page at the bottom. The second one was found on the Store tab. The ones that you point out actually move around on the site of the different products. The first one I showed you actually moves around on the different product pages.

I've also seen both of the ones you showed me on the US page. Apple pages are not static. They are dynamic in terms of media they display.

EDIT: Also, Apple tries to hit diversity as it is important to them. They want everyone to use their products. If there seems to be more Asians, it's because they are trying to include Asia (or China) to increase their market there. The guy next to the girl with the iPad Mini is Asian too.

Seriously, who cares which race she is? I mean seriously. If a girl is pretty, she's pretty. If a guy is good looking, he's good looking. Sexual appeal knows no race if you just don't care. Though a lot of things should affect appeal beyond that of looks but it is a factor. Just remember, we are visual creatures (yes women too).

Attached Files:

15. Zxxv Suspended

your watch has stopped. Though if you stare at it you can see its stuck not stopped :D