Will this System Work? (iBuyPower PC)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by UrBanLegEND97, Jun 25, 2011.

1. UrBanLegEND97 macrumors newbie

Ok i know this forum isnt for this but could you please help?

Hey, im thinking of geting this comp
    http://www.ibuypower.com/Store/Gamer_Mage_D335 and im going to up the gfx card to a 6790.
    And was wondering if i need to change anything else to play games like starcraft 2 (high would be fine)
    and like dead space,and the comp says it can run starcraft 2 at ultra since my budget is like 800$ i would really appreciate if you guys could help me out, it would mean alot, thankx. :)

2. nizmoz macrumors 65816

Get at least a Quad Core or higher processor. And you should be good on the rest. 4 gig min....

3. UrBanLegEND97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Im confused am i good to go??? cuz the one in the link had a quad core :p
    Let me know what you meant.
    ThaNkx.

4. UrBanLegEND97 thread starter macrumors newbie

5. yosnowman macrumors newbie

It will work not sure what frame rate this would run SCII on ultra though... Also you could build a much better system for the same price if not cheaper.

6. nizmoz macrumors 65816

I would recommend at least spending the extra $80 and get the X6 Core after thinking about it.

7. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

done quite a bit of research on this. iBUYPOWER is generally a bad deal in my opinion, at least ordering straight off of their site. they charge $75 for shipping (although you may be able to choose a popular PC with free shipping and downgrade/upgrade it) and are rumored to have terrible support and you have to pay them extra to do a good job. unless you pay them extra to do things like tie cables together (really?) and the like, you will get a PC delivered to you with things rattling around in there and you will have to tie the cables and stuff yourself. not hard but it baffles me that they don't just do that.

that is a high price to pay for those specs, especially considering all of the above. if you really want an ibuypower pc though, check this out, though unfortunately it is sold out: iBUYPOWER Gamer Power 567D3 Desktop PC Phenom II X4 925(2.8GHz) 4GB DDR3 1TB HDD Capacity ATI Radeon HD 5570 Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit decent (still not great) for the price.

your best bet, which was suggested to me and now that i am more educated on it i strongly agree, is to keep your eyes open for deals on systems and upgrade the components. as an example you may be able to get a quad core i5 system with 6gb ram for around $500-$600 shipped and just upgrade the video card for a much better system at the same price point. and the best part would be better CS and better build quality, depending on the company of course.

good luck.

8. nizmoz macrumors 65816

9. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

Its a great experience to buy and build yourself.

I do a lot of laptop/PC repair for friends and two weekends I just built my first whole machine.

Asus Mobo M4A785
    AMD X6 1090 CPU
    PowerColor 4830 ATi GPU
    DDR2 PC6400 RAM - 12Gb
    DVD-RW re-used from a year old HP machine that came to me with a blow power supply and fried Mobo
    win7 - 64bit home premium 3 pack upgrade kit license
    Rosewill Challenger Gaming case (included front, back and top fans with a bottom mounted PSU (purchased seperately), case also came with dust filters for fan openings)
    Thermaltake PSC 500w 2 rails
    WD Blue SSD - 64Gb for my OS - I pulled this SSD from a netbook I sold
    WD 80Gb HDD - for use as my win7 built-in SSD back up drive
    WD 1Tb Green drive - for my data and movie files local storage

*** She's fast (this 6 core CPU barely twitches unless I'm encoding a video), stable and been running great for 2 weeks now:D

If you price out my parts on www.newegg.com and www.tigerdirect.com and you live in the states (since you'll get free shipping) your build will be less than mine since no one ships to US military addresses for free that I've found on computer parts.

I would also venture to say that you'll be able to build this cheaper than that web site since RAM prices have fallen, along with all the other componets as I've been collecting my parts over the last ~4 months as I was deciding on what items for each category.

Good luck with your decision!

10. chrismacguy, Jun 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 28, 2011

chrismacguy macrumors 68000

Im also a fan of building my own when it comes to PC Desktops. Although admittedly, I haven't needed one since 2003, but its still the way to go for power/dollar AFAIC.

11. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

newegg sometimes has sales on bundles of all the parts necessary to build your own that would be cheaper then piecing it out part by part and that way you know it's all compatible and it arrives at the same time.

just some info if you decide to build your own.

12. LynnW macrumors member

I purchased a computer from ibuypower.com for my father. I will not make that mistake again. Higher charges for shipping than shown on the site, shipped weeks after promised, sound card crapped out and the service was almost non-existant. Tech support at ibuypower was very adept at pretending that they could not understand English. I think my dad finally replaced the sound card himself.

If you want a custom Windows box, either build it yourself or go to a local computer shop. With a local shop, at least you can go to them if you have problems, and probably won't have to learn Chinese to explain the problem.

13. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

...this is only partially true, you will have it all arrive at the same time but Newegg states in their fine print that they don't "100% say" everything's compatible in the "bundled kit".

Just an FYSA...