Will this "tablet" (Most likely) have a carrier attached to it?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by fireshot91, Jan 13, 2010.

1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

Like, will it be with AT&T, Verizon, (Sprint? lol)? Or, could it just be like a mini-computer for your house, with only wi-fi.

I mean like, I'm not that up to date with the current Tablet game, and all I'd really want would be a computer for my couch, as I have my iPhone, and don't need a computer outside of home.

So, could you buy it like outright, like you can with phones (If it's with a carrier), and therefore skip the data charge completely?

2. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

I'd say if the carrier wants to subsidise it then those subsidised tablets will be locked to a carrier. If you want to buy one without 3G connectivity you could just buy one in the store and then pop in a 3G SIM of your choice later if you want.

Same as the iPhone here. The 5 carriers charge very little to nothing for an iPhone on contract but you can go to an Apple Store and buy it outright unlocked and choose your carrier/plan.

3. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

I'm betting there will be a carrier option, although I don't know how you could choose between Verizon and AT&T unless there's some combo 3G chip.

I personally would have zero interest in subsidized pricing because I'm already shelling out $35/month extra for my iPhone. I'm still a fencer on this product since I know little about it, especially the cost. But I can tell you I have no need for extra Internet-related fees since I'm paying Windstream $35/month and AT&T $35/month.

It would be nice if this stuff could be converged one day like Clear is doing with 4G. You pay about $60/month for the 4G service and it can be used at home or on the go. There's no phone involved in this, but that would be a great idea for the future to bundle these connections instead of triple-whammying people with so much tech stuff.

4. Nickisgodofmacs macrumors member

Nickisgodofmacs

im saying nay on the basis of it wouldnt make sense to promote to products to complete the same task

5. gibbz macrumors 68030

It would be a pipe dream, but awesome if iPhone customers could use it with their existing plans. It's AT&T, what am I saying?!?:eek:

6. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Verizon has recently announced they're rejigging their 3G and other offerings. Carriers for the Tablet will likely be carriers for the iPhone (they may have renegotiated, or this might have been part of the iPhone contracts).