will this warrant a repair or an exchange?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Acronym, Nov 8, 2009.

1. Acronym macrumors 68000

my iphone 3GS has some issues that i have tried to get used to for the longest time but i have had enough.

my camera will sometimes take pictures like the ones i will provide and also the screen will freeze up and become unresponsive to touch, while the remainder of the phone still works.

for example if i am playing a game or surfing the web all is fine. hardware buttons work screen doesnt.

the only way i have been able to reslove the issue is to lightly tap the phone on a hard surface or shut the screen off and turn it back on again.

also with the camera sometimes the shutter image doesnt open, so i hit the home button launch camera app again the the phone freezes completey forcing me to hold home and sleep button to reset. Force quitting the app has no effect either.

i have tried DFU restore, Recovery set up as new phone all to no avail. I called the 1-800-my-apple (canada #) and they seemed to think it would be provided no accidental damage was found.
    the thing is i am a landscaper we work in the rain despite the fact that i am wearing rain gear the water sensors still can get wet, i just dont know if they have.

the picture on the left is what its supposed to look like the one on the right is what it looks like with the problem

Attached Files:

• 012.JPG
      012.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
    • 013.JPG
      013.JPG
      File size:
      1.1 MB
      Views:
  2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Have you tried restoring? If so, then it is hardware issue and I would assume it will be replaced.

3. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

just edited my post to include more information but ya beat me to it :p

4. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

The phone will be replaced providing the water sensors arnt triggered. There is 2 you can see one in the bottom where you plug your cable in and one in the headphone jack. If there White your ok if there red your in trouble. You can however argue the toss and get them to open the phone up. The externals are easily set off. If however the phone has been soaked the internal sensor would be red too.

5. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

and of course i am required to set up an appointment with the apple retail store?

6. 55test55 macrumors 6502

thats what i had to do.

7. FXT 1 macrumors 6502

They would actually do this at the Genius bar? This would save a lot of people, with a good case, a lot of money.

8. Lucbert macrumors regular

Lucbert

No as far as I know you can tell them to have UPS pick it up at your house and they will send you a "new" (which actually means refurbished) one to your house. This usually takes about 3 working days in my experience.

9. Acronym thread starter macrumors 68000

yeah they said that they could do that, but... i dont have apple care and dont want to get it, being as i am sure this is covered under warranty.

and i also use my phone at work for communicating with my boss and of course music.