Will This Wireless Keyboard Work With Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by blairh, Mar 7, 2009.

1. blairh macrumors 68030

blairh

Hey guys,

So I'm in the planning stages of working with an external monitor and clamshell MBP. I need to get a new keyboard as my current one has a ps/2 connector.

Having said that I was debating between a wired or wireless keyboard and mouse set up. At first I decided I wanted to go wireless on both fronts, and I found this combo:

http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Cord...6?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1236496713&sr=8-6

(Logitech Cordless Desktop EX110)

Logitech's website says it is Windows compatible, but there is no mention of Mac. So does that mean I definitely can't use this with my MBP?

I found another keyboard/mouse combo called the wave, and that states that it is Mac compatible, but further research led me to numerous negative reviews from Mac users that it truly isn't compatible (whether that meant all the keys didn't work or what not I don't know).

Am I forced to use an Apple made keyboard to be 100%? I personally don't like the mighty mouse nor could i swallow the lack of a numerical pad on the wireless Apple keyboard. I would purchase the wired keyboard if I can't use a non Apple branded keyboard/mouse.

Lastly, if I'm forced to use the wired Apple keyboard, can I plug it into the back of my external monitor (and one of its many usb ports), or must it be connected to the MBP itself to wake it from sleep mode?

Any stories of keyboards not named Apple working with your Macs would be appreciated. And so would some clarity about waking my MBP from sleep mode via in conjunction with the external monitor without potentially plugging in my mouse or keyboard or both. Thanks!

2. ziggyonice macrumors 68020

ziggyonice

Usually, a wireless keyboard for any computer that doesn't use Bluetooth is going to require a USB port be taken up for a wireless receiver. Logitech makes many different keyboards, but those that are Bluetooth compatible will work for your Mac. This keyboard doesn't look to be Bluetooth compatible, and so it may or may not work.

Note that, especially if you want this for your MacBook Pro -- because this keyboard isn't Bluetooth, it will use up one of your USB ports.

3. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Thank you guys.

In regards to the first printer linked by gjw4u, can the "usb receiver" be plugged into the back of my external monitor to wake the mbp from sleep mode or must it be plugged into a usb port on the MBP itself? (with the MBP in clamshell mode as i attempt to wake it from sleep).

4. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

Also, Ziggyonice you mentioned that bluetooth compatible keyboards will work with my MBP, but doesn't it need to be listed as Mac compatible in order for that to be true? The only keyboard on the Logitech site that appears to show that is the wave model (I would never get the Dinovo series).

5. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

Mac keyboards have 2 keys reversed from PC keyboards. The command key is the key with a Windows logo on it on PC keyboards and option is where the command key is on Mac. So if you use a PC keyboard Command and option will be reversed. All usb keyboards will work with Mac but the keys are reversed.

If you find a Mac keyboard it will not work with a PC unless you want reversed keys and the same goes for a PC keyboard on a Mac.

6. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

7. gothamm macrumors 6502a

all you had to do was search the amazon reviews.:

I can't speak to the more advanced features of the keyboard, but the basic typing functions (with the Windows button functioning like the Apple key) works perfectly with no hassle. My PowerBook G4 was easily able to recognize the keyboard after the very simple setup.

8. blairh thread starter macrumors 68030

blairh

I did read that review. I just wanted more opinions. Plus some clarification regarding waking the external via a USB adapter on the back of the monitor vs. the mbp itself.