will this work (External bluray)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nownot, Feb 28, 2008.

1. nownot macrumors regular

2. DocSmitty macrumors regular

OS X not listed as supported on the mfg. website. Probably need Windows in some form to operate.

PS - they are supposedly launching a dedicated external BD drive later this year, if you don't want to mess around with externalizing that one.

3. Freyqq macrumors 68040

you would need an enclosure, but i'm sure you could find a real external one somewhere.

I think 10.5 doesn't support blue-ray..so you would need to go into bootcamp.

4. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

plus I think you'd need a monitor/graphics card that supports HDCP, which I don't know if the MBP has it or not.

5. Adokimus macrumors 6502a

Adokimus

You would need to go into Windows to play Blu-Ray movies. Parallels or VMware likely work, but bootcamp is your best bet. I believe if you bought a BR-RW drive, you could burn data files onto a Blu-Ray disc with a mac (at least with what fastmac.com sells), but there are no Blu-Ray media players for Mac.

The nvidia 8600M in the MBP does support Blu-Ray.

6. Vedhead macrumors member

Vedhead

would you even be able to watch blu-ray on a 15" MBP? Isn't the resolution too low?

7. nownot thread starter macrumors regular

yeah i know ill need a enclosure. i plan on hooking it up to my 37' westinghouse for pure 1080p. currently with my macbook i can watch 1080p mkv on my lcd through xp but looking for real 1080p.

8. Freyqq macrumors 68040

i mean yeah..the mbp can handle blue ray but in bootcamp with an external blue-ray drive.

personally, I'm holding out for the xbox 360 version..which will be really cheap and work through bootcamp.

9. Vedhead macrumors member

Vedhead

let me rephrase my question...

can you watch blu-ray or HD content ON the mbp (15") itself? or do you need to use an external display to watch it?

thanks!

10. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Yes. The screens on ALL current Apple laptops are HD resolution and above, and have been for some time. Don't let people tell you that only the 1900x1280 resolution is HD, as anything above 720 vertical (2nd number) resolution is considered HD.

In addition, as your computer outputs your desktop resolution rather than the disc resolution to the monitor, it doesn't matter what you hook it up to. A computer with a blu-ray drive can output the picture to an old-as-dirt 800x600.. 640x480.. whatever. Take your pick. It just won't be in HD when you see it.

11. Vedhead macrumors member

Vedhead

thank you kind sir.

12. Freyqq macrumors 68040

yeah..blue ray has a resolution of 1900x1200 (1080p) while a dvd has a resolution of 480i or p depending on the player..which comes out to be around 640x480 or something similar.

So, a 1440x900 screen would see an improvement, but a 1900x1200 screen would be the sweet spot.

13. DocSmitty macrumors regular

Blu-Ray has a maximum resolution of 1080p. That does not mean all discs are recorded in that format. In fact, the first HD-DVD and Blu-Ray players could not output 1080p. They were limited to 720p, which is also "full HD" as some people like to call 1080p.

14. honeycrisp macrumors regular

Apple TV at 720p is all you should need!

15. tmoney468 macrumors 6502

I was more talking about the actual screen of the Macbook Pro...in order to watch it on the screen, it would have to be an HDCP compliant-screen correct? Outputting it through the DVI to another TV wouldn't be a problem since the graphics card has HDCP.

16. SoLibertyDies macrumors regular

I don't understand the point of blu ray if you're going to to watching it on anything less than a huge screen, how much (notable) difference is there on a 15" or even a 17" MBP screen honestly? If I'm missing something let me know.