Will this work for connecting macbook to HDTV?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by eddiehaskell, Jan 16, 2010.

1. eddiehaskell macrumors regular

Macbook = new one with mini display port

These are the ports on the back of my TV: http://208.109.228.157/arquivos/produto/manual/L26W661_manual.pdf (pg 9&10)

Here is what I've read that I'll need (prices are from monoprice).

Mini DisplayPort to HDMI Adapter - $8.55
    High Speed HDMI 1.3a Category 2 Certified Cable 28AWG - 6ft w/Ferrite Cores - PURPLE - $1.97
    3.5mm Stereo Plug/2 RCA Jack cable - 6ft - $0.76
    S&H - $3.09
    total: $14.37

Are these the correct parts?

They also have something called a "3.5mm Stereo Plug/Plug M/M Cable - 6ft" which is $0.61 - would this work for sound? I'm thinking it would considering the tv has two little round audio ports (like you would plug headphones into).

2. MrCheeto macrumors 68030

MrCheeto

The adapters are right, but it's not going to work that way unless you have a stereo. The HDMI channel ONLY uses the HDMI port, so if you plug your audio into the "input" you'll have to put it to the input channel to hear sound and switch back to the HDMI channel to get picture. If you flip fast enough you may not even notice :D

But seriously, you'll have to either use your MacBook's audio or plug the audio cables into a boombox or stereo.

3. neutrino23 macrumors 68000

The video part should work. We just did something similar with my mom's TV.

The audio part is unclear because the manual is not very specific. HDMI can carry audio but the MacBook only sends video over this connection. The audio cable you selected will send audio to the TV. The question is how to set things so that the TV will take video from HDMI and audio from the dedicated audio cable.

On my mom's set (Samsung) they explain that you can use one of the HDMI ports together with a dedicated audio cable.

I think I'd try HDMI 1 and then HDMI 2 with the audio going into AV IN and see which works.

The male/male cable would send audio to the PC input jack. Guess you could try that also.

Those are great prices. We bought cables at Best Buy and they were much pricier.

4. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

5. Lurchdubious macrumors 65816

Lurchdubious

I hooked mine up similarly with minidisplay port to HDMI, HDMI to the 37" Vizio LCD in my office. Then I just plug my computer speakers into the macbook. Works great. Gotta love Monoprice too. I bought the same purple HDMI and dongle you described.

6. eddiehaskell thread starter macrumors regular

I'm thinking that I might just go with the "Mini Displayport Male and USB Male Audio to HDMI Female Converting Adapter" they have on monoprice for $36.75. From my understanding, this one adapter grabs audio and video from the USB port and mini displayport so all I would need is a HDMI cable to go from the adapter to my TV. Right? This seems like the most simplistic approach.