Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

wombatg16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
My car (2010 audi q5) has an iPod connector in lieu of a port for an 3.5mm AUX cable. I have my music on my old mp3 player, and I really would rather not switch to an iPhone or go buy an iPod and load all my music onto that... So:

anybody know if this cable would allow me to play tunes through my car's sound system?
http://cgi.ebay.com/ipod-Female-Dock...07211319r19798

It's pretty inexpensive but I'm curious as to whether or not it will solve my problem, and I don't really know how to research this myself. Would appreciate any help. Thanks!!

Giuly

macrumors 68040
The pro is that you can control an iPhone/iPod via the car's controls, opposed to picking up the device from the glovebox (which requires a 3.5mm extension) and tinkering with it.
But yes, AMI (Audi Music Interface) to 3.5mm adapters will work, you can buy them directly from Audi for $60 as well, so there you go.

I'd rather use the AMI to USB adapter, though:
41CzsqBgRnL._SS400_.jpg

You just copy your music onto an USB stick (connecting your MP3 player via USB would probably also work), and you can enjoy your music with all advantages the sound system offers, including controlling the playback via controls on the steering wheel, on-screen track information, etc.

Even simpler would be to just buy an SD card (and possibly a reader if your Mac/PC doesn't have one) and copy the music onto that. You car has an SD card slot and it would give you the same advantages as the USB stick.

But on a more serious note, buy an iPhone.

Last edited:

wombatg16

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 16, 2013
Giuly,

Thanks for your awesome input. I went ahead and ordered the ******, Chinese knock off apparatus and I'm going to try to use that with a long 3.5mm aux cable to play tunes from my phone.If this fails, I'll cop for that $60 converter that you linked above. I like the whole SD card option, but I sort of prefer being able to pick the songs from the palm of my hand as opposed to through the Audi MMI system...although I know that's probably not a very safe method.

And you are totally right. I should just buy the iPhone.

Appreciate your reply, thanks again!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.