Will this work (In Theory)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by SayCheese, Oct 19, 2007.

1. SayCheese macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone can tell me if the following will work (in theory). I know that it's not guranteed until the iphone is actually launched and the process tested.

I would like to get an iPhone on T-Mobile UK. Therefore I was wondering if I went to Germany for a couple of days and picked up a German iPhone can I just put my UK T-Mobile sim in and it will work? Will I still have to go through the whole unlock process (in which case I may as well just get a UK O2 one).

Can anyone see any flaws in this plan?

Thanks for your time,

Say Cheese

2. IDANNY macrumors 6502a

IDANNY

i am wondering the same thing but about these german one's being imported to america.

3. BuxtonUK macrumors member

Why not just get the o2 one, buy SimFree for 1.1.1 and unlock it T-Mobile?

Saves time and a trip to Deutscheland.

4. SayCheese thread starter macrumors 6502a

Because using the simfree unlock invalidates the warranty. If using a German T-Mobile iPhone and a UK T-Mobile sim card works then I should also be able to update the software as and when it becomes available with no risk of bricking it.

Also I am planning a trip to Germany sometime soon. I would just combine the trip with iPhone buying.

5. BigDaddy5 macrumors member

I severly doubt it will work. With US iPhones, only iPhone sim cards work. This means you can't take other AT&T sims and use them. Unless you unlock. I would bet its the same with EU iPhones: you can only use them with their respective sim card. I cant be 100% sure, but with the way it is in the US (only being able to use certain sim cards) it will be the same for you