Will this work? [OEM Vista + 7 upgrade]

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by louis0nfire, May 12, 2010.

1. louis0nfire macrumors 6502

I have an OEM copy of Vista from my gaming PC I built 2 years ago. I also have an upgrade edition of Windows 7.

My question is, will I be able to install my OEM Vista through boot camp? Or is it restricted to installs ONLY on 1 specific motherboard.

2. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Why bother installing Vista? You can do a clean install from the W7 upgrade. http://www.winsupersite.com/win7/clean_install_upgrade_media.asp

As long as you think you are complying with the license by doing what you are doing, then there is nothing stopping you.

B

3. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

Wait, so I can just put my Windows 7 upgrade disc in and install it with boot camp? (I've never even touched boot camp before).

4. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

Yes. Use Boot Camp Assistant to create the partition, but don't let it reboot for you.

Reboot manually yourself while holding Alt/Option and insert the W7 upgrade CD. Follow the w7 clean upgrade guide, holding Alt/Option every time you reboot. Install the drivers from the Snow Leopard install disc.

B

5. louis0nfire thread starter macrumors 6502

That guide you gave is for installing on a PC though.

6. SkippyThorson macrumors 65816

SkippyThorson

Entirely interested in seeing if this works that simply. If so, I wasted 2 days trying to install XP on a friend's MacBook, when I had a Windows 7 upgrade disc right next to me. :)

7. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

It makes no difference.

The only thing you need to be careful of is when it asks you where to install you need to select the partition labeled BOOTCAMP, reformat it to NTFS, and continue from there.

EDIT: http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=9749412&postcount=9 is an example of this having worked on a Mac if you don't believe me.

B

8. TommieG macrumors newbie

I can confirm that it works, no hassle, to do a clean W7 install from a W7 upgrade media in BootCamp, using the steps in "method #2" from the link stated earlier.

Tom