Will this work? Order new iPhone on family plan.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dlmart2, Jun 11, 2009.

1. dlmart2 macrumors 6502a

I have a family plan. My phone is the iPhone 3G and the other phone is some cheapo flip phone which is eligible for an upgrade and belongs to my niece.

If I order the 3Gs as an upgrade for the cheapo phone, can i put my iPhone 3G SIM in it and it (3Gs) work with my current phone number.. then put the other SIM card in my old 3G iPhone and give that to my niece? My goal is to be able to get the 3Gs and keep my current phone number. And give my 3G to my niece and she keep her current phone number.

2. jbtaylor macrumors newbie

This is almost what I'm doing. The AT&T store rep who is helping me out said this is possible. I'd say verify it with someone at your local store.

3. bjquach macrumors 6502

That works fine because AT&T still gets their money on either line since the data plan rate remained the same at $30

4. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Yes its possible, I did that with my first 3G (used my grandma's upgrade). Just make sure they aren't expecting an upgrade in the near future because you are locking them with the same phone for 2 more years.

5. e1cap1tan macrumors newbie

6. dlmart2 thread starter macrumors 6502a

So I would not need AT&T assistance? My phone number is tied into the SIM card, correct?

7. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

No help would be needed, just put your SIM in, plug into iTunes, and you are ready to rock. The data plan is added through iTunes but since you already have one, its even easier.

8. DHarrisDBS34 macrumors regular

Yeah on Family plans upgrades can be used on any phone as long as one is eligible I think. I have a friend who does it all the time. His parents don't care about getting new phones so he uses the upgrades and buys the phones himself.