Will this work to get Iphone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by alemmo, Sep 16, 2012.

1. alemmo macrumors newbie

My mother is on Verizon and has a dumbphone. She is up for an upgrade.

I am in a different state and have my own account with Verizon not associated with hers.

The plan is to have her buy the Iphone 5 with her upgrade, get the 2gb data, and have the phone shipped to me.

I activate phone on my number and she cancels her data plan.

Will this work? Can I activate the phone from my home, will i need to go to a Verizon store?

I am grandfathered into unlimited and do not want to lose that status.

2. EnvyV07 macrumors member

Before she ships the phone have her activate her old phone back, which will cancel the 2GB data plan automatically.

3. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

When she activates the old phone is good to call to remove the iPhone data plan.
    Most of the times it doesn't remove on its own without customer support.

4. alemmo thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm going to have her order the Iphone online. So her old phone should never be deactivated right? Since the iphone would be shipped.

5. EnvyV07 macrumors member

Yeah it wont be deactivated. However, you must first activate the iPhone on her account prior to deactivating it and reactivating her old phone. Then she can ship the phone to you and you can activate on your line using a new sim, which you can get from VZW store anywhere.

----------

You are correct. Thanks.
    Also, I have noticed that if you are going from 3G to 4G or back, its good to call and make sure.

6. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

True.
    I know companies will not remove data plans and such untill the customer calls in.
    Some people sit there and pay for months for a data plan or feature that their current phone cannot use and then complain that the carrier overcharged them:D