Will this work to get me an upgrade?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Eric8199, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Eric8199 macrumors 6502a

I currently have an iPhone 4 on Verizon, and am looking at ways to get the iPhone 4S. If I put a non-smartphone on a smartphone line, can I ditch the data plan with no penalty?

Here's my potential plan:
    If I add another line to get the 4S, switch the 4S to my iPhone 4 line (still under contract) with an ESN swap, and then put a feature phone on the line that I added to get the 4S, could I then drop the data plan on the new line and only pay an additional $10 a month on the extra line rather than $50?

My wife and I are thinking about getting a feature phone for her parents, and we have an old one that we could give them, so we could use the additional line for them, and I could get the new iPhone 4S for $200 and sell my iPhone 4. This could work out perfect for the upgrade. I just don't want to end up with an extra data plan.

Please let me know if this will work.

2. aneftp macrumors 68040

Yes. U can do it.

U can always get rid of data as long as u put a dumphone on that line.

3. Eric8199 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Why didn't I think of this sooner? iPhone 4s here I come. Haha

4. k473 macrumors newbie

That's exactly what I did. The only problem that I didn't expect to come across was how hard it was to actually find a dumb phone!

5. FreakinEurekan macrumors 68040

FreakinEurekan

Did the same on AT&T. Only now Mom wants an iPhone :) so adding data back on again.