Will this work to speed up my iMac's network connection?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by JW008, Jan 5, 2009.

1. JW008 macrumors 6502

I've been posting quite a bit lately as to suggestions as to how to speed up my network. Whatever I do, I cannot get to my iMac to connect to my network faster than 5-10 Mbits/sec. If I step 6 inches out of the room with the iMac, I get 70-100 Mbit/sec. I've finally come to the conclusion that there is some type of interference in the room with the iMac and no matter what I try, I'm not going to be able to get good wireless network speeds in that room.

Since the room is on a different level than my wireless router, a direct wired connection from my Time Capsule is out of the question. But, what if I bought an Airport Express, put it right outside the room with the iMac and ran an ethernet cable from the Airport Express directly into my iMac? Would that have any positive effect? Could that help my iMac's throughput?

2. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

You could just make the AEx a wireless extender.

3. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

I actually tried that, I bought one from Best Buy and returned it when it didn't work. The problem appears to be the room itself. I get very low throughput when a wireless signal is trying to penetrate the walls of the room with the iMac.

To be more exact, I'm getting a full five (or is it four?) bars of signal, it's just that the throughput is extremely slow.

4. Rich1963 macrumors 6502

I have the same problem. Bomb shelters just don't receive wi-fi that well. ;)

5. Cliff3 macrumors 65816

Cliff3

You probably should have tried it while you had it. Didn't you say in a previous thread that you have a 802.11g express? Why not try putting that one outside the Faraday cage and see how it works?

6. JW008 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks again Cliff--you're right. I should have tried it while I had it, but just didn't think about it. Good though with the 802..1g express, I'll try that.

At this point I think you know more about my network than I do. :eek: