Will this work with my g3?

Discussion in 'Apple Collectors' started by Macpropro80, Mar 5, 2009.

1. Macpropro80 macrumors 6502

Hey everyone, I have an 80 gig ata hard drive sitting around and I want to install it in my imac g3. It is currently formatted in what ever windows xp/vista uses. If i install it in my imac g3 will it recognize the hard drive? I plan on installing a fresh install of panther. Also can I boot off a disk that is in a usb dvd drive with this mac?

2. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

ATA drive should work if you set the right jumper (master vs slave vs cable select).

USB boot only on intel macs.

3. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Though you could boot off of Firewire assuming your G3 is one of the Firewire models along with the drive.

4. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

You can put any of your macs into Firewire target mode (Press T on boot) and use it as a temporary DVD drive for the imac g3.

Be funny to use your Mac Pro as a optical drive for iMac g3...

5. jodelli macrumors 65816

jodelli

You can format and partition the drive from the system disk. Disk Utility will find it. As Consultant says, have the jumper set at Master.

6. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

installed it but all i get when I boot up is a blinking finder. I will try a swapping the original cd drive back in. (i put a dell laptop dvd drive in it)

7. MacTech68, Mar 9, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

MacTech68 macrumors 68000

MacTech68

You might not be able to boot from the Dell Laptop CD drive. Make sure it is set to Master as well (there is often a small switch near the rear of the drive) and that the CD & HD drives are attached to the separate Bus cables. (IE, don't run both off the same IDE interface cable).

The HD Bus and CD-Drive Bus are separate Buses, and as far as I recall, the Beige G3 Desktop & Tower PowerMacs and the Trayload G3 iMac can only boot OSX from a "Master" device.

Also, as already pointed out, you'll need to partition the HD with the FIRST partition being no larger than 8GB (a limitation for OSX on the TrayLoad iMac).
    ________
    Ford FE engine history

8. Macpropro80 thread starter macrumors 6502

The Dell Dvd drive doesnt have a switch, but Im going to stop worrying about it, this computer is more of a toy then a work horse so I don't think I will waste anymore of my time taking it apart.