Will This Work?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by chenjas1, Feb 16, 2011.

1. chenjas1 macrumors member

I'm not able to test right now but would like to see if anyone knows...

I have a wireless router that is not connected to the intenet... Can I use that router and broadcast a signal, connect an Airport Express (on the same signal) plugged into an audio system, then stream music from my iPhone to the audio system via AirPlay?

I guess my question is, do I need to be connected to the internet to take advantage of and AirPort Express?

2. millerj123 macrumors 6502a

You shouldn't have to connect to the internet to use an airport express.

But, I'm confused by your question. The Airport Express is a wireless router. Why would you use another one?

3. chenjas1 thread starter macrumors member

Wow... That didn't even dawn on me. Lightbulb!

So I should be able to create a new wireless network with the AirPort Expreess and use my iPhone to hop on and stream via AirPlay to the connected audio system? All without an Internet connection?

Can't wait to give it a shot!

4. lexvo macrumors 65816

Yes. You can also add the Airport Express to the existing network and stream music from your Mac also. I have this at home and it works great.

5. chenjas1 thread starter macrumors member

I previously tried, unsuccessfully, to join my work's public wifi. Everything was set up correctly and I was able to stream audio through AirPlay but only for a second before the audio stopped. The AirPlay icon was still blue and the music continued to play, but no sound. I'm thinking it has something to do with bandwidth?

In any event, the set up mentioned in previous posts worked out great without an Internet connection. Although, I am faced with a new dilemma... While I can stream music from my iPhone through the iPod app, I can't stream Pandora or access anything that would need an Internet connection, most importantly, my email, without switching wifi networks and therefore, streaming would temporarily cease.

Any workarounds for using wifi to stream while using 3G for Internet access simultaneously? I know it's a longshot.

6. lexvo macrumors 65816

Could be various reasons. Maybe the main router limits the amount of data that can be sent in a given time. Or it could be something different. Hard to say.

I'm not sure about this, but you can't stream everything yet. A lot of applications are not yet supported. I think it should be possible to stream radio from iTunes.