Will this work?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by koigirl, Oct 12, 2012.

1. koigirl macrumors 6502a

koigirl

I want to buy a Verizon iphone 5 off-contract (device only) and use to finish out my AT&T 2-year contract, thus avoiding an ETF. My plan is to buy the phone and then get a nano-SIM card from AT&T to replace the micro SIM from my 4S. From all that I have read, the Verizon model comes unlocked. The rest of my family is on a Verizon family plan. This way, I can switch over with this phone to Verizon a) when my contract ends or b) when Verizon gets their simultaneous voice/data via Volt-E up and running (both factor into my decision). Plus I can hand this phone down to one of my children on Verizon when the next iPhone model is released next year.:D I realize I will only get HSPA+ speeds, not LTE, on ATT with this model but I can live with that.

Anyone see any problems with this plan? Will ATT swap out the sim for me?

2. braddick macrumors 68040

braddick

It will work, and it's what I am doing now. I cut down my 4S sim to fit (template on the web) yet still went into AT&T (to change my messaging from 200 to unlimited).

I went to a corporate store and the manager upon plugging my iPhone into his system was a bit surprised it was registered with AT&T (via the sim only) as, "iPhone and not, 'iPhone 5' like their system should have had it labeled, per this manager.

He popped a new sim in- registering the number in his computer- said he, "zapped the sim" and replaced it with a new one and then got it to work after some effort.

I don't know if he ever figured out it was a Verizon iPhone VS an AT&T model, and if he did- didn't mention it to me (yet was pretty chatty, so think it is the former rather than the latter).l

Everything runs flawlessly yet the LTE doesn't work- just the 4G. I don't see much of a speed difference, but I am sure if I was a purist I would.

Let us know how it works out for you!