Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kwalker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Dont know if this has been asked before. Im very new to the macs.
Can you network a airport express to a linksys wirless gaming adapter that I have hooked up to my directv hd box?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I think so.

Your network gaming adapter should work like any wireless client, so it should work with pretty much any wireless router, like the Airports...

kwalker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
As long as it can connect to a regular 802.11b/g network, it will work.

TEG

Well I had it hooked up to my old linksys router. When I bought my new iMac Sunday I bought the airport express. But Ive notice that I lost my connection to it. Also, what is the best security setting that I need to use wep128? or the others

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
For the security, if all of your wireless devices are capable of WPA, that's more secure than any version of WEP.

Unless you set the new Airport up 100% the same as the old Linksys (same SSID, same security protcol, same keys, etc), your other devices won't be able to use the new network without some config changes being done to them.

Go thru the process of setting up that gaming adapter again and it should connect to your new Airport.

kwalker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
For the security, if all of your wireless devices are capable of WPA, that's more secure than any version of WEP.

Unless you set the new Airport up 100% the same as the old Linksys (same SSID, same security protcol, same keys, etc), your other devices won't be able to use the new network without some config changes being done to them.

Go thru the process of setting up that gaming adapter again and it should connect to your new Airport.

Im reading where the linksys device is wep only. I know that Im set up WPA which is better. So the only way would be to go back to WEP on my airport, right?

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
So the only way would be to go back to WEP on my airport, right?
Yup. :(

In that case, WEP is better than nothing.

There's a small chance Linksys may have released a firmware update for that device that supports WPA. If you get bored one night, might be worth check out.

kwalker5

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 16, 2008
Yup. :(

In that case, WEP is better than nothing.

There's a small chance Linksys may have released a firmware update for that device that supports WPA. If you get bored one night, might be worth check out.

which is better wpa or wpa2

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Both are a great improvement over WEP, but most resources indicate WPA2.

The primary difference between WPA and WPA2 is the technology used for data encryption. WPA uses Temporal Key Integrity Protocol (TKIP) for data encryption, while WPA2 uses Advanced Encryption Standard (AES), a stronger encryption technology that can be required for industries demanding highly secure networks
http://www.apple.com/itpro/articles/wireless/

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.