Will Thunderbolt external hard disk drives be expensive?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by CBGFilms, Mar 9, 2011.

1. CBGFilms macrumors regular

Do you think that Thunderbolt external hard disk drives will be expensive? I'd love to get one when the come out, would be great for speedy backups. Also I like the idea of it not taking up another one of my precious USB ports!

Also, I'm guessing Thunderbolt is powered right? As in, the external HDDs won't need to be plugged in to a power socket.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

I think they will be expensive to start with, then like everything come down in price as (if) they become more common.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

As with any new technology they will probably be higher in price for a while before coming down.

4. Alaerian Guest

Alaerian

How would we know the prices of something that has yet to be released? I, for one, am not psychic.

5. eternlgladiator macrumors 68000

eternlgladiator

You can view everything but the specs for the lacie drive that's coming out soon on their site but there's no price yet.

http://www.lacie.com/us/products/product.htm?pid=11623

You can bet the SSD versions will be at least a few hundred. It's going to be crazy expensive.

6. Tomb01 macrumors 6502

Drives?

If you own any of the Seagate GoFlex drives, there will be an adapter for Thunderbolt to upgrade them. that adapter for other interfaces is not horribly expensive, though I cannot provide any specific specs for them... And I would expect that to be available a bit faster than a completely new drive or external case.