Will Timbuk2 Plush Sleeve Work for Me?

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I got my iPad 3 to bring to school with me (college student) and all the reviews on this sleeve look stellar (unlike the cheap sleeve I bought at 5 Below 2 days ago). My only concern about this sleeve is fitting my iPad into it. I have a cheap eBay Smart Cover on it as well as an inCase clear snap back cover. Or if I don't use this setup, I also have an Incipio Flagship Folio, which I still would want to fit into the sleeve. Anyone have some insight/experience to help out my dilemma? Thanks!

terandall

macrumors newbie
Aug 14, 2012
works for me

I have the timbuk2 plush sleeve and I use an apple smart cover and ifrogz backbone on my ipad3 - it fits perfectly!

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I have the timbuk2 plush sleeve and I use an apple smart cover and ifrogz backbone on my ipad3 - it fits perfectly!
Thanks! I see a few on eBay going pretty cheap so maybe I'll see if I can win one of those auctions. Which color did you choose, by the way?

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
I have the grey with lime green stitching.
I have this one and love it. Great protection for tossing my ipad in a bag. I use it a lot for traveling.

For what it's worth... I found mine at 5 Below in May & 2-3 of the stores in the area have had them for months.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I didn't find it at the 5 Below in Paramus, NJ. Maybe I'll have to try the ones in Wayne and Clifton to see if they have any

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I love my Timbuk2 Plush Sleeve too. I wasn't sure what I wanted to get so I went to several stores in my area to see if any of the iPad 2 stuff can fit my iPad 3. One day in Five Below, I was just looking around and spotted the Plush Sleeve. Eventhough I was still on the fence if I wanted a portfolio case or sleeve, I got the Timbuk2 Plush Sleeve cause it was Timbuk2 and it was only $5. :eek: I've got bags from Timbuk2 that I spent over $100 for and they are still in heavy use after 7yrs. For $5 for any Timbuk2 bag/sleeve is a great find.

What I like about the Timbuk2 Plush Sleeve is how it feels in my hand. Occasionally I will only carry my iPad 3 in the sleeve and feels very solid like carrying a netbook or something small but not to heavy. From the reviews that I've seen on youtube you can have a back cover/folio case on your iPad. There is plenty of room. A few times I've put my cords in with the iPad.

I want to get another one. It's great for carrying other things too. (cables, gps, cords, etc).

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I've been looking at their other cases and I actually am thinking about getting the Envelope Sleeve instead. Just so that I still have good protection, but it isn't so bulky. That, and I'm not really all that crazy about the quilted pattern so much as I was when I first saw it. Probably will decide tomorrow since I may order a custom-made sleeve from TimBuk2's site

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
I hear ya on the quilted look. I actually like the gun metal with the green stitching. A lot of my friends comment on how cool it looks. However, I'm not impressed with the current color choices. Maybe the brown??

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I hear ya on the quilted look. I actually like the gun metal with the green stitching. A lot of my friends comment on how cool it looks. However, I'm not impressed with the current color choices. Maybe the brown??

The thing for me is that i hate green (except cash, of course lol). Like if I go clothes shopping I avoid anything green, when I was looking at cars, it couldn't be green, etc. I don't really think I would need to have all the extra padding in the plush sleeve, making it bulky too. I was messing around on their site and I think I'm going to order a custom Envelope Sleeve.

The outer panels are gunmetal nylon, the inside is one of their specialty fabrics, and the outer binding/logo are silver. I figure it's $10 more than what I'd pay (custom orders are 20% off until the end of today), and I get a sleeve made how I want it instead of choosing one of their pre-made designs.

mofunk

macrumors 68020
Aug 26, 2009
Americas
Both sleeves, from what I'm reading, have the same padding. The big difference is the lining and the cross stitching. The dimensions are the same.

I don't think its bulky. You will like it.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I actually decided earlier today. I ordered the custom designed Envelope Sleeve. The quilted stitching on the Plush Sleeve didn't really do it for me so I decided against it. And since I wasn't really crazy about the colors Timbuk2 offers, the extra $10 I paid for custom didn't bother me (they were offering 20% off custom orders). Guess I'll post when I get it, hopefully by next week

Last edited:

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
I actually went to another 5 Below and was able to find one last Plush Sleeve in their iPad section in the grey/ green stitching color. I figured for five bucks why not, and then I'll either alternate when I get my custom sleeve or let my dad or friend use it for their iPad.

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
Here(-ish)
We've got several Timbuk2 items around our household for Kindles, iPads laptops, and school/work. Absolutely love all of them.