Will Time Capsule *completely* restore my Mac?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by PalacePlayers, Sep 20, 2012.

1. PalacePlayers macrumors regular

So I bought a retina MacBook Pro a while ago that didn't work properly, and thus Apple is going to replace the machine with a brand new one in a few days.

I have a huge iTunes library I want to keep just like it is on the new machine, as well as a photo library I also want an excapt copy of. So my question is, if I buy a Time Capsule and backup my Mac - will I be able to get a 100% copy of the faulty MacBook Pro I am using now? Like, all passwords, apps, song counts and album artwork in iTunes, level of saturation on my Aperture-library, etc..?

Also, and this might be a tricky question. I live in a country where iTunes in the Cloud (or iTunes Match) isn't released, so I have to manually sync my devices to iTunes. The problem is that I have reached 4 out of the 5 computers you can sync your iOS purchases with. My question is, if I sync my iPhone with my CURRENT Mac and thereby reach the 5 of 5 computers I can sync, would the new MacBook restored from Time Capsule count as a NEW (and 6th) computer, or will it count as the 5th computer, since it was restored as a copy of it?

2. MCAsan macrumors 601

MCAsan

To migrate my rMBP, which shipped from China with Lion, to Mountain Lion, I did a complete reinstall and then I told Migration Wizard to use my Time Machine backups sitting on my Time Capsule to do a data restore. All my bookmarks, Lightroom library (1TB of photos), Itunes library (over 400 CD) were are put back without any problem.

You do know you can unauthorize computers in your Apple account. I doubt you need to be able to synch with 5 of them. For most folks there is likely 1 desktop and maybe one portable.

3. PalacePlayers thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks a lot, that was really helpful.

Although I think mine will be shipped with Mountain Lion. Do you think I will be able to restore from Time Capsule copy as a part of the setup process when I boot the machine for the first time?

Also, where can one deauthorize computers?

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

You can deauthorize your current computer if you still have it by going to the Store menu in iTunes. If you don't have the computer any longer you can deauthorize all computers from in your account settings in iTunes.

[​IMG]

When you start the new machine you will be given the option to run the Migration Assistant. Just say yes and point the Migration Assistant to your Time Machine backup drive and it will restore everything.