Will Time Capsule work for me? (itunes, backup, xbox)

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by elevenspices, Jan 24, 2009.

1. elevenspices macrumors newbie

Here is the scenario:

I have half my music stored on my MBP hard drive.

I have the other half on an external hard drive.

None of this is backed up.

I'm wondering how I should go about setting up a backup using time capsule. I was thinking if I was to get a time capsule I could set it up as just hard drive space and then move everything off of the external and my MBP onto the time capsule hard drive. Then move everything from the time capsule hard drive over to the external.

I could then have all new downloads go straight to the time capsule and not my MBP.

I would then have to regularly connect the external to the time capsule and move anything newly added off of the time capsule onto the external to back it up.

Is there an easier way to do this where things are backed up automatically and the time capsule/external can still serve as the space where I store all my music (and play it with my MBP via itunes)? Would there be any lag if I was trying to play files wirelessly off of the hard drive/time capsule combo?

If I hook up my cable modem to the time capsule and connect to it wirelessly with my computer, are there any restrictions that the time capsule would place on my download/upload speed?

Lastly, can the time capsule serve as a router, so that if I hook up my cable modem to the time capsule can I then hook up my xbox to the time capsule and use it to access xbox live? Would doing this wirelessly place any restrictions on my download/upload speed?

Ideally, I want to use the time capsule as a central location where my xbox, iphone, and MBP all connect to the net with no loss in speed while also using it in conjunction with an external hard drive to store and serve up all my music along with backing it up.

I was also thinking of getting Traktor Pro to DJ, so I would like to be able to pull songs off of the time capsule/external combo into traktor for while I work on mixes, but I dont know that anyone here would know if that would work or if I would have to move the tracks I plan on using onto my MBP first.

Thanks!

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

:eek:

Why do you want to use the Time Capsule drive for your files? Leave the files on the extern and use the Time Capsule for backup. Or do you mean that you want a drive with enough space for your music collection?

There may be a slight lag every time the track changes. Individual songs won't be interrupted.

No. The Time Capsule is just a router, so the speed you get will be as fast as your internet connection can handle.

It is a router, so yes, and no.

3. elevenspices thread starter macrumors newbie

I think I get it.

So I could hook everything up with no loss of speed (awesome).

And for saving everything, I could save all my music to the external hooked up the time capsule, re-do my itunes to go to the external, and then just set the time capsule to back up everything on the external?

Thanks again!