will time machine back up software problems?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by lovebowie, Jun 6, 2012.

1. lovebowie macrumors newbie

howdy :)
    my macbook pro has a lot of problems. it's making weird noises, the disc drive doesn't work, a lot of my programs are messed up like they won't open properly and keep asking me to restore windows D:

i want to back it up with time machine before i take it to apple but then i thought if i did that would it back up all these problems. like when i get my laptop back from apple all new, would it load all my programs back on with all their stupid problems? i have things like adobe cs4 and MS office that i don't have the keys for anymore because i've lost them so i don't want apple to wipe them without having these backed up

hoping this post makes sense lol :S

2. trikky macrumors regular

If you have issues with your settings that cause the problems, they'll be replicated when you return everything from Time Machine.

Your best bet is to backup and reinstall your user settings - you can always reinstall your software later.

As for your applications for which you have lost the keys, you can get them from the software company (such as Adobe) from where you purchased them. Of course you did purchase them, right? :eek:

3. lovebowie thread starter macrumors newbie

ah ok thank you for the reply :) how would i be able to just back up user settings? i've never used time machine for :S

yeah i bought cs4 when i bought my laptop and my cousin bought MS office for 3 users but he's lost the key for that too :S

4. w00t951 macrumors 68000

w00t951

I don't know about Adobe products, but most of my software has an option to show the serial key somewhere in the preferences.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

If you want to import settings but not apps, you could use the Migration Assistant app in the Utilities folder to do that. Just start the app and point it to the Time Machine backup. There are checkboxes in Migration Assistant where you can tell it to import settings and not applications.