will time machine backup be gone after 1 month?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by shiunn, Sep 4, 2008.

1. shiunn macrumors 6502

basically, the title says it all.
    I left my time machine hdd and have been travelling for more than a month. It just dawned on me that those backups might not be there by the time i get back. It does say under time machine that it will keep "daily backups for the past month".
    so, what do you guys think? i already made some changes to my macbook, thinking i could still rely on the time machine...but...

2. ergdegdeg Moderator emeritus

ergdegdeg

No. It will keep the backups until there is no more space so the new backups overwrite the old ones. I only have a 150GB Time Machine for about 50GB of data and I still have backups for 1.5 months.

3. JML42691 macrumors 68020

JML42691

Your deleted information that was saved in that time will still be available, it will just consolidate all of your backups into one per week or something like that, so you won't be able to view them by day, but they will still have any information that you deleted, and will still backup what is on your computer.

But just a heads up, after 10 days of not backing up your computer will prompt you to ask if you want to start a new drive.

4. kornyboy macrumors 68000

Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5C1 Safari/525.20)

That's a really good question and I'm not completly certain on the answer. The way that I understand that time machine works is that it will pretty much keep everything until the drive begins to get full and then it starts deleting the older stuff first. If that is the case, you have nothing to worry about but like I said that is only the way that I understand that it works. It may not be a how it actually works.

5. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

My (currently) oldest TM backup is December 1st, 2007 (9 months). This represents 300GB used of 406GB available on the TM drive from my MacBook which is at 140GB used.

6. shiunn thread starter macrumors 6502

ah, it's good to know that.
    thanks ppl.

i am using the WD MyBook Studio 500gb, which I projected would last me at least 3 years, capacity wise. Unfortunately, I got myself a SLR recently, and it would seem I need sth bigger now...