Will Time Machine Backups Transfer to Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Jenni8, Jul 18, 2011.

1. Jenni8 macrumors member

When you upgrade what happens to your Snow Leopard Time Machine backups? Will the files still function the same other than new features? Or will you be stuck starting fresh with Lion?

2. seong macrumors 65816

seong

It does transfer, but I have no idea why you would even do that, considering that updating to Lion will NOT erase any data whatsoever, just like the update from Leopard to Snow Leopard. It will be like that from Snow Leopard to Lion. I currently have and use the GM, and there seems to be no problem backing it up. Your original Snow Leopard data will stay as it is. Plus, you can also transfer using Migration System.

3. hehe299792458 macrumors 6502a

hehe299792458

Maybe he wants to do a fresh install and restore only his data

4. spokes1124 macrumors member

So pretty much when I install Lion, just search my Time Machine and move items over? Or are you saying that when I upgrade to Lion, all my stuff like iTunes, and other documents will stay on my computer?

5. Paulywauly macrumors 6502a

Paulywauly

When you upgrade its basically only changing system files, it shouldnt touch your iTunes or any of your personal documents.

I've upgraded from Snow Leopard to Lion for a few days and then downgraded back to Snow Leopard, never had any issues with Time Machine, its chugged along nicely and all previous backups work despite working with different OS's! :D

6. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

An upgrade will keep your documents, apps, etc.

Only for a clean install will you need to move data. Migration assistant could be used or a clone of the hard drive.

An upgrade to Lion will continue to use your SL TM data and will prompt you to say it is doing so when you first use it in Lion.

7. atchan macrumors newbie

Here's a scenario that it applies to, not everyone buys or upgrades all the time... I had someones old iMac (White) running Snow Leopard die and they bought a new iMac (Silver, Current Gen) running Lion. When I setup the computer, I bypassed the initial request for Time Machine and insterted the drive afterwards (Which was a mistake, post setup). It requested another profile to be created, I couldn't migrate profiles in the same name (Works fine in the Windows world...).

After the Time Machine created ANOTHER profile and migrated the data. The machine rebooted and crashed EVERY time. I ended up doing a recovery to get the OS to boot again. None of their data, settings or files moved.

Anyone have resolutions, fixes, work arounds? I'm tempted to back date the machine to Snow Leopard. Because Handbrake also no longer works properly.