will time machine reinstall every thing that I had before ?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by marypm, Apr 9, 2013.

1. marypm macrumors newbie

I have doubt .

can time machine save and re install every thing fe. the photoshop ?

or other important systems. its really important for me because I don't have the CDs. and if I lose them it cost me a lot to buy them again or waste my time to collect al my application. i need them immediately because I'm Master student and my laptop is my everything.:)

2. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

The basic answer is yes, if you use the recovery option TM will put everything back...BUT and it's a biggie....You will need to re-insatll some apps, or enter the valid code if you want them to work after re-installation. If you do not have the codes or CD's, I'd get them prior to performing a recovery installation.

3. benwiggy macrumors 68020

Time Machine normally backups the entire disk and can therefore restore any file. However, Adobe apps install lots of files in all sorts of places, so if you don't restore them all, then PS may not work.

If your laptop is everything, then you need to keep your installer disks safe and secure, and make sure that you have a good backup.
    Hard disk failures are rare -- I've never had one in over 20 years of using Macs, but you will find many posts here of people who have lost files because they had no backup and the drive failed, (or they "accidentally" deleted an app).

Is there a problem with your laptop? Why do you think you might need to restore Photoshop?

4. marypm thread starter macrumors newbie

actually not with my laptop . my Isight camera has problem it does not work . and I think I should clean install . and most of my applicants ordered directly Online (No CD) I don't know how can I reinstall them :(
    where can I find all the original install icon on my laptop to burn them in a DVD.

and now I 'm writhing my papers for masters. I have back up of my important things but hate to clean install. because i'm very bad at computer and such thing and its very difficult for me to do all those thing . this is first time that I want to do it with mac.
    first time my brother prepared every thing for me and give a prepared laptop to me. :D and now he is not here.

----------

by the way I know that there is a way to reinstall the "lion" with out erasing the application . can I use this way ?

if yes is there any explanation here "in this forum" that help me how to do that . any link ?

5. benwiggy macrumors 68020

1. It's unlikely that reinstalling the system is the best remedy (or any remedy) for your iSight camera not working.

2. You ask "where are the installers for my software?" Well -- where did you put them?

3. OS X can usually be reinstalled without affecting the user data, preferences and apps. That's what it does by default. However, as said, it's unlikely that reinstalling will fix your problem.

What model is your Mac (including year)? What numbered version of OS X are you running?
    Is the camera listed in System Report? (Apple menu > About This Mac > More Info > System Report > USB)

Open the Console app in the Utilities folder. Now try to use the camera. Are any relevant messages reported in Console when you do that?

6. Attonine macrumors 6502a

For download software applications, you usually receive an email receipt which contains activation codes, user names etc. I have created a folder in mail to store these emails so I can easily find them should I need to reinstall a downloaded app. Usually if you need to reinstall a downloaded app, you simply re-download it and input your original activation code. So try to develop a system that works for you whereby you can easily store and access this kind of information. 1Password also has a feature where you can input all of your purchased software details, including activation codes.

I agree that your isight problems is probably not software related.

7. marypm thread starter macrumors newbie

mac book pro 13"
    year : 2012
    version : Mac OS X 10.7.5
    processor : 2.4 Ghz Intel Core i5

no unfortunately the Camera is not there (under the USB) I don't know what happened suddenly it was OK since 2 or 3 weeks ago and suddenly I noticed that I can not video call with Skype, at first I though this is Skype problem but now I see that there isn't any camera .

Is there any driver for Camera (Like windows) that I could install ?

by the way I did SMC also . but :(

this is the message when I want to open face time : :confused:

4/12/13 2:42:51.393 PM FaceTime: [Warning] could not start preview, error: Error Domain=GKVoiceChatServiceErrorDomain Code=32017 "Could not start video previewing" UserInfo=0x7fe5e6161ba0 {NSErrorUserInfoDetailedError=108, NSLocalizedFailureReason=Video unavailable, NSFilePath=/SourceCache/AVConference/AVConference-245.23.4/AVConference.subproj/Sources/VideoConference.m:3957, NSLocalizedDescription=Could not start video previewing}

In "photo booth" I see this message on the screen : there is no connected camera .

thanks for your help :)

8. marypm thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you very much for this I didn't know that. so my brother might have the e-mail he ordered and installed it with his e-mail .

I don't know what happens to my camera suddenly. but I hope I could fix it myself very soon. and want to do it with out telling to other because :

:( my biggest problem is that no one has mac. Therefore they can not help me, and on the other hand they always blame me for buying mac . and tell me : see this is the biggest problem of mac. now how could you solve the problem now ? solve t if you can . if you had windows we could help you easily.

I want to learn every thing myself . :)