Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

madamelulu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
Hello
I'm a long time sprint customer (10 years) and I've stayed with them b/c of their economical prices. Lately, i've been unsatisfied with their customer service and dropped calls. I'm considering switching but I need to wait until early next year to make this decision. I want to own an iPhone 6 but would like it to be domestically unlocked which I know sprint does not do. If I buy a tmobile iPhone 6 that is unlocked can I use all aspects of the phone (voice, text, data, VM) if I put in my current Sprint sim card?

Alternatively, if I buy a Sprint iPhone 6 and pay it off, will I be able to place another devices's simcard early next year when Sprint domestically unlocks their phones?

Thanks for any help!

madamelulu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
My understanding from reading earlier posts is that Sprint is going to start domestically unlocking phones around Feb 2015.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
Short answer: no. Sprint still does not allow phones not within its inventory or sold specifically for use on its network to be activated. Even if it's unlocked. You must buy a Sprint-designated iPhone to work on the Sprint network.

rambo47

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2010
Denville, NJ
Short answer: no. Sprint still does not allow phones not within its inventory or sold specifically for use on its network to be activated. Even if it's unlocked. You must buy a Sprint-designated iPhone to work on the Sprint network.

This is absolutely correct. Same for Verizon. Even if it's the exact same model phone, if that particular one was not sold by Sprint or Verizon specifically, neither carrier will allow it on their network.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
You guys are correct but lately with the iphone 6 and 6 Plus we see people with unlocked AT&T and Tmobile iphones using them on Verizon just by sticking a verizon sim inside.
So things might be a little different with these newer iphones.
Seems like the carrier (verizon) doesn't need to add or whitelist/activate the particular device. Its all done automatically the second the verizon sim is entered in an unlocked iphone 6. Where before the CDMA hardware of those GSM iphones was disabled, this time everything is active and functional.
https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/1784285/

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
You guys are correct but lately with the iphone 6 and 6 Plus we see people with unlocked AT&T and Tmobile iphones using them on Verizon just by sticking a verizon sim inside.
So things might be a little different with these newer iphones.

There's no argument that the hardware is capable. The issue is policy enforcement by Sprint, which is a lot more strict than Verizon.

Seems like the carrier (verizon) doesn't need to add or whitelist/activate the particular device. Its all done automatically the second the verizon sim is entered in an unlocked iphone 6.

The process is different on Sprint, where tighter control exists on provisioning. On Sprint, an active association with the MEID of the phone is necessary before the network will recognize it. SIM or no SIM, if it's not on Sprint's whitelist, the phone gets no service, even if the hardware is fully compatible.

It sucks, but that's how Sprint has always done things.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
There's no argument that the hardware is capable. The issue is policy enforcement by Sprint, which is a lot more strict than Verizon.

The process is different on Sprint, where tighter control exists on provisioning. On Sprint, an active association with the MEID of the phone is necessary before the network will recognize it. SIM or no SIM, if it's not on Sprint's whitelist, the phone gets no service, even if the hardware is fully compatible.

It sucks, but that's how Sprint has always done things.

True, I'm not sure about it cause I thought Verizons provisioning was just as strict as Sprints.
Only real way to know for sure is if someone takes a sprint iphone nanosim and sticks it in an unlocked iphone 6.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Not happening until Masayoshi Son wakes up and cleans up the trash posing as engineers and workers at Overland Park.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not happening until Masayoshi Son wakes up and cleans up the trash posing as engineers and workers at Overland Park.
Ehrmm, that's what Son has got Marcelo Claure for.

Been showing them the door since October 1 and won't stop until October 31.

madamelulu

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 15, 2014
Thanks everyone

Anyone know if sprint will allow another another carrier's simcard to be used on a sprint iPhone when they unlock them early next year?

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
We won't know till February.
But most likely yes cause they are forced to unlock them after that date to eligible customers.
Sorry, AJ. Normally I agree with you but on this one I have to argue against your statement.

The agreement that the carriers have adopted makes a point of stating that full unlocks will be allowed on phones MANUFACTURED AFTER February 2015. While, the iPhone 6/6+ will continue to be sold after that date, the original date of manufacture is before February.

However, there does not seem to be any clarification of this, so it's possible that by a strict interpretation any iPhone 6/6+ (or for that matter 5s and 5c) made after February 2015 would be eligible.

Considering Sprint's history though, I'm pretty sure they're going to claim the original launch or first manufacture date applies to the entire model run.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Sorry, AJ. Normally I agree with you but on this one I have to argue against your statement.

The agreement that the carriers have adopted makes a point of stating that full unlocks will be allowed on phones MANUFACTURED AFTER February 2015. While, the iPhone 6/6+ will continue to be sold after that date, the original date of manufacture is before February.

However, there does not seem to be any clarification of this, so it's possible that by a strict interpretation any iPhone 6/6+ (or for that matter 5s and 5c) made after February 2015 would be eligible.

Considering Sprint's history though, I'm pretty sure they're going to claim the original launch or first manufacture date applies to the entire model run.

I hear you. We all know sprints unlock policies suck.
But I think about that law that passed is any phone made after February.
So it would make sense those phones that were manufactured after that to be eligible.
Not just devices that are introduced after that date.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
I hear you. We all know sprints unlock policies suck.
But I think about that law that passed is any phone made after February.
So it would make sense those phones that were manufactured after that to be eligible.
Not just devices that are introduced after that date.
Well, as you said earlier, we'll just have to wait and see then I guess.

My gut tells me that Sprint will probably try and pull a fast one here. But, that could also just be my gunshy nature towards anything Sprint does or proposes.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
Well, as you said earlier, we'll just have to wait and see then I guess.

My gut tells me that Sprint will probably try and pull a fast one here. But, that could also just be my gunshy nature towards anything Sprint does or proposes.

True, I don't doubt their sneakiness:)
Just hope the government steps in like they did with Verizon's unlimited lte plans.

DerekRod

macrumors 6502a
Jan 18, 2012
NY
True, I'm not sure about it cause I thought Verizons provisioning was just as strict as Sprints.
Only real way to know for sure is if someone takes a sprint iphone nanosim and sticks it in an unlocked iphone 6.

Doesn't verizon have to support any phone that can run on its 700Mhz network?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.