Will today bring the REAL update to Maps?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by gforce216, Sep 10, 2013.

1. gforce216 macrumors 6502a

I understand iOS 7 has brought some nice tweaks to Maps, but Apple has not improved the POI system or added transit travel yet. We know that they have acquired HopStop and Embark, which focus heavily on transit mapping, while Locationary is a large POI database company.

Do you think that with the formal iOS 7 announcement today we will see a beefed up Maps app with transit navigation and a new POI search tool?

2. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

Would be nice, along with Siri improvements.

3. JaySoul macrumors 68020

JaySoul

Hmmmm.... I have a hunch that no, it won't be a particularly Maps day today.

4. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

Yeah, I feel like Maps are incrementally improved; especially the POI's. If you have millions of data points you need to add or update, you'd get them in as fast as you can, you wouldn't hold out for some special day to release the updates in bulk.

5. Merkie macrumors 68020

I don't expect any new features for existing devices. Look at beta 6 - this is it, performance improvements / bug fixes set aside.

6. matttye macrumors 601

I hope so but on the other hand I think it sets a dangerous precedent. We don't want Apply to only update maps substantially when there's a keynote, i.e. once a year. Maps need to be constantly updated if they're going to be useful.

7. joshforman macrumors regular

It's probably too soon to add the transit stuff into iOS based on those recent acquisitions, but if locationary is solely backend, that might be a different story.

8. ross1998 macrumors 6502a

Maybe in ios 7.1 just like they did in ios 6.

9. haruhiko macrumors 68040

haruhiko

Google just launched Ground Truth and in door "Street View" in Hong Kong... while Apple Maps still presents the city with empty blocks only...I'm quite pessimistic about the future of Apple Maps. It will be there, but I can't really find any use for it, at least in my city.

10. OneMike macrumors 601

OneMike

With google maps. Apple would have to do a lot to get me to switch back to it.