Will Turning off GPS, Wifi, and bluetooth fix the reception issue

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Stuart21, Jul 2, 2010.

1. Stuart21 macrumors member

I was just wondering if anyone had tested this. Im at work right now and even if I death grip my phone I can't get my bars to drop. But if I'm at home I can get it down to say 2 bars. I know its not a fix but I was just curious to see if that would help out.

2. celticpride678

Wi-Fi, GPS and Bluetooth are controlled by a different antenna. I don't think that the two would interfere.

3. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Bridging the gap extends the length of the antenna, if I understand things correctly that is what is really messing things up, not the fact that the other antenna runs other stuff.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

You are correct.

5. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Q: Will Turning off GPS, Wifi, and bluetooth fix the reception issue?

A: Turning the phone off will, but do you need a paperweight with a 24 months subscription?

6. egk69 macrumors 6502

I think what he means is that maybe the interception is made because the other antenna is transmitting other things and when you "short" the 2 antennas the signals gets mixed up or what ever, maybe turning those things off will leave the other antenna with out any signals and when you short the 2 antennas the 3G antenna will not get interrupted by other signals and it wont cause the reception issues.

Thats what I understand with his question...

7. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Right, but that's not the issue. The issue is bridging the gap makes the antenna longer. When you get into RF transmissions... that's a bad thing. The length of the antenna is very precise.

8. Stuart21 thread starter macrumors member

Well that answers my question. I though the bridging would be fixed if you turned off the antenna for the Wifi, GPS, and bluetooth. I never said it was a permenant fix. My phone has been great and is not a paperweight. Yes if I squeze the hell out of it I can drop it down to 2 bars but I dont get dropped calls and my 3g data always work. But im also not intentionally bridging the gap im just holding it like I normally would.

9. egk69 macrumors 6502

Ok, after I read this topic I try that on my Bro's i4 and when I dont know if his suffers from the reception issues very bad like a lot of users (he havent had a dropped call since the day he got it) , yesterday i did a few speed test touching that part and the tests failed or were very slow while if i stop holding that part it completed the speed test normally. Today I cant replicate this, no matter how i hold it does the speed test at the same speed.

I turned off the wifi,gps and BT and the speed test were faster ( like 2300kbps vs 1900kbps ) but it could be just coincidence.

The Phone lose signal when I hold it the wrong way for like 30 seconds, but it still manage to do a few (5 o 6) 1800-1900kbps speed tests with just 1 Bar of signal...

So due to my mixed results I cant say this doesnt work but I dont think it will make a difference...