Will two LG monitors damage 2016 MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Aditya_S, Nov 23, 2016.

1. Aditya_S macrumors 6502

I saw a video by EverythingApplePro where he plugged two chargers into the 2016 MacBook Pro and it wouldn't charge anymore even with one cable plugged in. I'm wondering since the new LG 5K and 4K monitors made for the MBP charge it, will it damage the MBP. You can't daisy chain them apparently because only one of the USB C ports on the monitors have Thunderbolt 3 capability otherwise this wouldn't be a problem.

2. Yoshimura macrumors regular

No

Notes on charging your MacBook Pro:

• Your MacBook Pro draws power from only one power supply, even if more than one is attached—so using multiple power supplies will not speed up charging.
    • If you connect multiple power supplies to your MacBook Pro, the one that provides the most power will be used, regardless of the order in which you connected them.
    • You should not connect any power supply that exceeds 100W, as it might damage your Mac.
    • Using a power supply that doesn't provide sufficient power can result in slow or delayed charging. It's best to use the power supply that came with your Mac.
    • MacBook Pro can receive a maximum of 60W of power through the Apple USB-C VGA Multiport Adapter or USB-C Digital AV Multiport Adapter. For the best charging performance on MacBook Pro (15-inch, Late 2016), connect the power supply directly to your Mac.

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207256#charging

3. Aditya_S thread starter macrumors 6502

I know that but there is a video of someone plighung in two chargers and the battery wouldn't charge anymore after that.

4. Ender17 macrumors regular

Should be fine. Apple demoed this in the keynote.

5. jimthing macrumors 6502a

jimthing

Firstly, he screwed around a lot with them, hence why machine's buggered up.
    Secondly, these displays are designed not to screw around a lot, hence why they won't bugger the machine up. ;-)

...as per Yoshimura said/linked above.